Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help For Great Britain Stamp Numbering In A Davo Album

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
China
256 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TomSwift to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a four-volume Great Britain Hingeless Davo album set at auction for a good price. I want to start collecting GB stamps but the albums are being mailed to my Canadian address while I am living in China. I won't get back to Canada until July and I would like to see some of these pages, to get an idea of what I need to look for.

Does anyone have images of the pages from the first volume? I would like to start making a want list but I don't know which varieties etc. are on the Davo pages. I am an album completionist and empty spaces drive me nuts so if I can't see the album now, at least I can get ready for it.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
722 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will be pretty standard, I can tell you that. I have a Belgium collection in a Davo album, and the stamps it provides spaces for are all the usual ones -- pretty much in chronological order. Using the Scott catalogue works fine. I'm not aware of which catalog Davo uses to layout their album pages, but they are Dutch publishing company, if that helps. An email to them would answer that question, if that's what you'd like to know. I don't believe they include spaces for lots of varieties, color shades you can hardly tell apart, tiny differences no normal person would ever notice, and so on, as in some other albums (thank goodness!).

There are separate pages for souvenir sheets, semi-postals and air mails (and officials, parcel post, or whatever else a country might issue that's not regular postage) which can be left at the "back of the book," if you wish. I move mine to the chronological location where they belong so my entire album is chronological. Check the Davo website for more information. It's in English. You might browse eBay or just google "Davo Great Britain pages" to see some samples.

They're very nice albums -- if you get used to the very bright white paper they use! After using an album with more muted pages like a Scott album, It always takes my eyes a moment or two to adjust to the searing white Davo uses!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 01/14/2020 11:33 pm
Valued Member
China
256 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. I prefer Davo albums for exactly that reason. I have a Lighthouse album of Canadian provinces and it is filled with spaces for minor colour differences and such, things I can't find in my catalogues. I completed my Canadian collection with Davo albums and I wish they offered a Canadian province album so I would not have to continue to search for minor variations. Thanks for the information.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can start with this page, not terribly specialized, so you should be able to find them all:

Valued Member
China
256 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1726 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have GB Davo and am up to Volume VI. All of the stamps can be found in the SG Concise catalog. Just follow that. Get a copy several years old. Much cheaper that way. If you are looking for stammp quantities at fairly low prices, look in the Machin section of the concise.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
27 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will Davo print pages for albums they no longer sell?
I have an older davo Bosnia and could use a few replacement pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2687 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   05:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, a large size page but much smaller area for the border and stamp spaces.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/17/2020 05:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4704 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   05:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I struggle to find much to like about Davo albums. I prefer the appearance of the cloth-bound range to that of the rather tacky "luxury" binders, but the pegs are placed through the front cover, making them difficult to use. I also dislike the typeface. In the end, there's no substitute for buying a decent binder and blank leaves. You can then follow the catalogue you want (in the OP's case, the SG Stamps of the World would work), or none at all.
Valued Member
China
256 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To each his own. I like Davo for their simplicity and clean lines. I also have no interest in making my own albums because they would look like crap (I know me).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05