Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marking On Quebec Tercentenary Sc#101

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danstamps54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've never seen a marking like the one below on a Canadian stamp. Is it a number from a catalog I'm unfamiliar with, a grading system, an owner's mark or what? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Send note to Staff
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A plating number? It looks like pencil 48L01. Looks like a position dot upper left margin of the stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
370 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree it matches a possible plating format (position 48, plate 1 maybe?). It also could be an inventory number for a dealer (less likely imo).
Pillar Of The Community
6849 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also could also be 1078h
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also could also be 1078h

Yes it could, which brings us back to Dan's original question.
On the face I see a dot in the 0 of 1908 and there seems to be something else in the center of the four words Canada Postage Ten Cents?Also a white accent above nt of Cents.
Edited by littleriverphil - 01/15/2020 7:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6849 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just under inking..

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
833 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Littleriverphil, it does look like a shark fin but it is part of the normal design. A great white lurking beneath the surface?

I do not know how many plates there were of this but it more than likley it appears as plate 48 position Left 01. Stamp flipped over and noted at bottom. The way the 4 is printed is more natural than how a h would be printed, and even so what would that normally refer to.

Addendum: With only 500,000 printed I now doubt it is plate 48. Maybe plate 4 8th row left position 1? Or is it possibly a dealer # . We will never know for certain.
Edited by No1philatelist - 01/15/2020 10:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4193 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cert number? AIEP?
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Except as regards the Postal Union denominations of 1c, 2c and 5c the
colors chosen for the stamps of this series do not correspond with those
of the regular set. The stamps were produced by the line-engraved
process, which has long been the standard method of production for
Canada's stamps, and as usual they were issued in sheets of one hundred
in ten rows of ten. It seems probable that the plates for the 2c, and
possibly for the 1c also, consisted of two panes of 100 stamps each
placed one above the other. This seems to be proved from the fact that,
whereas on most sheets the imprint "OTTAWA" followed by the plate
number, appears in the centre of the top margin, sheets of the 2c are
known with the imprint in the centre of the bottom margin, and in the
case of plates 3 and 4 both imprint and number are inverted. The
inversion on these particular plates was, probably, purely accidental.
But though these large plates were used the stamps were always issued in
the usual sheet size of 100. The following plates are known to have been
used:--

1/2c dark brown. No. 1.
1c blue-green, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4.
2c carmine, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4.
5c dark blue, Nos. 1, 2.
7c olive-green, No. 1.
10c dark violet, No. 1.
15c red-orange, No. 1.
20c yellow brown. No. 1.

Those are the plates used for this series. I have no idea why we say plate 48 for an 500.000 stamps printed!?

The series was printed on sheet of 100 , mean 10 by 10.

48L01 probably inventory no.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, under inking? I am not sure.

My opinion is paper natural thing. I explain:

paper was wovw. Was wet and been full natural fibers, in some parts can react different during the printing,

You have very sharp eye to point this. I thing an microscope test will show clear what it is. If true under ink will be first variety in this denomination.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion! Let me throw out a hunch based on what I've read:

One plate was used. It was printed in two panes of 100 stamps each placed one above the other. So maybe it's an attempt at plating?

1078h = plate 1, stamp 078 out of 100 top pane (h) or:

48L01 = 48th stamp in the lower pane of plate 1

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks
Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
6849 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
danstamps54....The only reason I called it under inking is look at the colours taken from

1-White area of effected stamp.
2-Colour of white spot.
3-Colour of printed ink.

If it was a piece of paper stuck on the plate, the colour would be the colour of all unprinted areas...no ink would be applied, looks like dry ink print...See colour range below...Just an opinion as seen when I was a printer out of high school..

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

I don't know anything about the inking of Canadian stamps. If it is the case that it was under inked, how does that relate to the notation on the reverse?

Dan
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
6849 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dan

These were steel engraving printing process.
Most plate numbers were 1-2-3 digits long.
Don't think it is a plate identification number..Just an opinion.

Below is a web page to contact Library and Archives Canada to ask a question....
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/servic...uestion.aspx

I have a personal contact there and get information on files, sheets etc. but you can ask a question about possible plate numbering.

Use this information below when asking..
REFERENCE
Item Number: 1989 -565 . 000101 -001
Reproduction Number: POS-000155

I believe what you are looking at is some ones personal ID number for his/her collection..Again a opinion.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

Thank you for your assistance.
I gave it a shot and included the reference information you suggested.
I'll keep you posted!
Again, Thanks!
Dan
APS Member #223433
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
864 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

I don't know if this is of any meaning or use, but I've already received a message (automated) regarding my inquiry.

It has a reference number: QMS-105235

Thanks again,
Dan
APS Member #223433
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05