Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help In Identifying 90 Cent Perry Date Of Issue

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4030 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
508 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Proving once again the utility of Siegel Power Search. What a great resource! Does not, however, take away from the beauty of the OP's block of 4.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
158 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Taking photos or scans of everything sounds like quite an undertaking.... That block is a fabulous start.
Assuming there is an album forming the principal organization to the collection, maybe a snap of the early pages might give us a taste, too.

And welcome to this forum.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Happy Jack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another group of four from my dad's collection. His description was: 1916 2c Washington unused, mint, never hinged, Shermack perf. It's all a foreign language to me! Posted photo of back of stamp. Photo doesn't show that the back is shiny with original gum.

Edited by Happy Jack - 01/18/2020 1:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5785 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice strip. If his identification is correct the catalog number would be Scott 482. Can you take a scan / picture of the back?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
158 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back at the turn of the century the USPS would print up imperforate stamps that were then sold to one or more of a half dozen private companies which then would then sell the stamps out of proprietary vending machines or as supplies for stamp affixing apparatus in offices. The stamps put into those machines needed to have some sort of separating point, and these companies used their own private perforation schemes. A rather interesting window into the history.

Schermack (later Mailometer) was the most successful and long lived of those companies and their Schermack type III perforation you have is one of the more common on a variety of stamps over several years. Very neat and very different. That is a nice strip.

Here is a thread on these private perforations:
http://goscf.com/t/57427

And more information at StampSmarter:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...tePerfs.html

- Jonathan (edited to add successor name for Schermack)
Edited by jleb1979 - 01/18/2020 2:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Happy Jack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another stamp from the collection: #293 $2 Trans. Miss. used.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Jack: Nice one with nice light cancel.

Rodgcam: Yea, I checked the Siegel search as well before I posted. Last sale was 2015 and my cat is 2014, so I am guessing that someone paid 2000 for it at another auction? Nice increase in value.
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the wonderful world of stamp collecting. Just out of curiosity, how complete was your dad's Colombian collection? We are all (or rather some of us) after the dollar values. BTW, nice 2$ Trans. Wolf-==-
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Happy Jack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stampwolf,
I am a real neophyte with stamps. What do you mean by "Columbian stamps"? Stamps from the country of Columbia or historic U.S. stamps? Any help is appreciated. Everyone on this forum has been super helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3345 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Columbians" is a term commonly used for the US stamps issued in 1893 for the World's Columbia Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. The values range from 1 cent to 5 dollars, which was incredibly expensive for 1893, and depict Christopher Columbus in various scenes. The values for Mint items have dropped over the years, but it is always nice to see good copies of the higher valued items (50 cents and up). I'm currently stuck at 50 cents and can't quite pull the trigger for anything higher yet.
Valued Member
United States
7 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Happy Jack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I Googled Columbians! There are multiple copies of #230 to #237 in the collection. Records show that he sold the higher denomination Columbians to Apfelbaum over ten years ago.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05