Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Fake France Stamps? Or Just Decoration?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2719 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   4:47 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI all

I recently received an envelope from France that has me confused.

Can anyone familiar with French stamps tell me if this was just someone trying to spiff up an envelope with stamp-related labels, or does the postage actually add up to the correct rate for a letter from France to the US?

I originally flat-out thought some of the stamps are fakes. The ones with "codes" could just be badly printed, but as you can see two of the older designs are clearly labels. The three along the right side have blue along their edges and also look off.

Am I overreacting? (aka: making a fool of myself publicly so everyone else can see?)

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4644 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can still use pre-Euro French stamps from the post-1960 period for postage (there's a complicated calculation of value). You can't use pre-1960 stamps such as the Mercuries and the older Marianne. Don't know about the others, but it all looks highly dubious. Worth keeping for that reason, although I'd treat the seller with caution.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3531 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite a potpourri of items on your cover. The Marianne stamps appear to be cutouts of illustrations. Then there are the old, invalid franc-denominated stamps. The homemade computer stamp certainly looks like a photocopy. The "coat of arms" item looks like a pressure-sensitive reproduction/fake of a genuine, old stamp.

The "soccer" computer stamp and the "chameleon" stamp appear to genuine. So, one has to wonder if they are "skips" or re-used.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 01/15/2020 5:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2719 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   5:55 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa - thankfully, the cover was not from a stamp dealer ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4644 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   7:22 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a parcel from a French dealer that threw in an illegal usage of a pre-1960 stamp. The fact is that (a) checks are likely to be limited; and (b) nobody working in La Poste will have been around in the days before de Gaulle revalued the franc.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
making a fool of myself publicly so everyone else can see?

There is never a discredit in asking a question.
The foolish thing is to have a question, and not ask it.

What a cracker of a cover! Philatelic Hijinx.
Someone with too much time on their hands, or a happy prankster.
The two top stamps appear genuine and prepay the article, the rest is decoration.
I like it.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2719 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can't use pre-1960 stamps such as the Mercuries and the older Marianne.

Is that just because of currency issues, or something else?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4644 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   1:11 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You haven't, as far as I know, been able to use pre-1960 stamps since the currency change that revalued the French franc (100 old francs were equivalent to a new franc).
Pillar Of The Community
France
996 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pre-1960 french stamps are still valid for postage (except Petain issues and a few more)
Mercuries and old Mariannes are quite legal.
But you have to respect the rules : 1 = 656 old francs or 1 old franc = 0,0015
Of course some people don't respect them and "confuse" old and new francs.
And most of postmen are too young to make the difference,as GeoffHa did say.
Edited by vayolene - 01/17/2020 1:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4644 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
vayolene - thank you - I hadn't realised that. Some challenging calculations there!
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2438 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
List of stamps that are not valid.(Demonitized) Also surcharged stamps after the liberation are not valid.

http://www.lemarchedutimbre.com/for...ge=92446&f=3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3531 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Vayolene!...Always something to learn here at SCF.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05