Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Issue With Payments Today

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1859 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
'Other: Card payment by phone/in-person'

This is what I am getting all day when attempting to pay for my purchases.
I am not able to proceed with a credit card or Paypal.

If this is a general issue I can't understand why I haven'e seen any posts on it. Anyone else getting this?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1859 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update, per call to eBay this vendor does not accept Paypal nor will he accept card payments using eBay's system. He messaged e just a few minutes ago:

'Please remember as per the payments area of the original lot description that we do not accept paypal. We do accept visa or MasterCard directly. Simply forward a card number and expiry date and the lot number being paid for. It is safe to email the number. We also accept personal cheques or post office money orders. You can also telephone business hours to me at 403-xxxxxxx. Our time zone is GMT minus 7
Mailing address is...

I've never run across this. The customer service person at eBay seemed taken back as well. They advised me to ask him to cancel the transaction. Comments?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Stamps1962 - 01/15/2020 8:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1851 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly would not email my credit card information.
That is most definitely not secure.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
533 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with txstamp. I would not email credit card information.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2438 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just call like this….!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2367 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We also accept personal cheques or post office money orders.

Ah, just like eBay per PayPal. It will add a week or two to delivery, but your CC card # isn't floating around somewhere in the mail stream.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
807 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But Stamps1962 is in the U.S., and the seller is in Alberta, Canada, based on the area code. Will the seller accept a U.S. "cheque"?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1859 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mailed him a check today. He stopped responding to my messages; it will take ten days to get there (Alberta). I won't be getting my purchase until next month.I was not going to call this in, that's another few bucks on my phone bill.All this so he can avoid Paypal fees or whatever fees eBay charges for using credit cards on their payment system. Inconvenience the customer for your own convenience.

Hope he's not expecting more business from me. He's not getting any.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All this so he can avoid Paypal fees

They are everywhere.
I responded to a vendor of Turkish Postcards, when he wanted the sale as a "gift" with Paypal.
I said I could not do this, and would pay extra to cover his paypal fee myself.
He refused and withdrew the items for sale.

Still, not as bad as Australian Banks charging fees to deceased customers, coincidentally, the Acronym for one of the banks is "NAB"

Edited by rod222 - 01/16/2020 4:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First, let's be clear why the seller is doing this. It's not just PayPal fees. It's the chargeback policy. The seller is seeking to avoid an easy reversal of funds if the buyer makes a fraudulent "item not as described" or "not received" claim. With direct credit card charges, the buyer would have to go through the card issuer's chargeback dispute procedure and not have the buyer protections that eBay and PayPal collaborate on.

The eBay representative was "taken aback" only because they want to minimize friction on transactions and maximize buyer protection so they earn maximum fees. There is nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about the seller's terms.

Next, why not just phone and provide the card details. People do this with all sorts of arms-length transactions with merchants. If you are in the habit of reviewing your card account statements monthly, you'll see any improper charge, report or dispute it, and the issuer will remove it. Your card issuer also is constantly running fraud check software looking for out-of-pattern charges, and will block or alert many of those.

How is mailing a check safer than phoning in card details, or mailing card details? Your routing number and account number are printed in OCR characters on the bottom of the check. People photocopy checks, dummy up fake ones, then deposit or cash the fakes all the time. My business has been hit with this repeatedly, but our business bank always has caught them.

There is a level of concern in posts above that is unwarranted. But I realize that people tend to view these things with a high level of emotion, rather than asking what systems and checks are in place to protect them.
Edited by cjpalermo1964 - 01/16/2020 6:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
665 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962

Canada is not on managed payments. International Paypal payments are far more expensive.

I am in Alberta, same area code. Can you disclose who the seller is?
Edited by dutchman1948 - 01/16/2020 6:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1859 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well two plus weeks later nothing. Still shows payment as 'pending'. I messaged him over the weekend just to ask him to confirm if he has the check yet. No reply.

The dealer is R.D. Miner of Calgary. I have bought from and visited with him at shows in the past. Not happy right now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1859 Posts
Posted Today  8 Hrs 11 Min ago  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got my stamps yesterday; he enclosed an invoice billing me an extra $2.36.

I message asking what this was. It is the sales tax for my state, so he wants me to send him another check or my card # to clear this. Excuse me, I will not be in a big hurry to do it.

Some sellers just do not get that they ought to make it easy on their buyers. He's one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05