Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unfamiliar Small Queen Cancellations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm relatively new to the Small Queen era. These two cancellations are unfamiliar. Any comments?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6453 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
according to Lacelle's book on fancy cancels, a crown cancel similar to yours was 'used for mail requiring special handling at Ottawa Main P.O.'
I will note that the cross at the top of the crown is slightly different on yours than on the one he illustrates.
One more closely resembling yours does appear in Holmes' Specialize Catalogue and appears on page 23 of the 1963 edition.
Both books suggest usage from 1880 to about 1890.
Boggs suggests use at the legislative office in Ottawa, but Lacelle discredits this.
Admittedly these are all old sources, and new info may certainly be out there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jamesw - 01/15/2020 9:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
6776 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, both. My scan seems to be an instance of the third of the proofs that wert has shared (L 1284, Apr. '80). I also appreciate knowing that this cancel was applied in Ottawa, sometime in the 1880s. The idea that it was applied in the legislative offices is appealing. A shame that Lacelle discredits it.

The first scan suggests a portion of an oval killer. Is that possible for Canada in this period?
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible that the crown cancel is a forgery? I have one - it seems that if the cross at the top of the crown is separated (has a space) from the main body, it is a forgery. Note in the diagrams posted that everything touches.
Valued Member
341 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several variants of the Ottawa crown cancels, that strike looks ok to me offhand. Scale and ink look right, also there are no other cancels present. Ken Pugh is the expert on these, but I do not know if he lurks here.
Valued Member
341 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cancel on 3c is a perfectly ordinary and believable grid cancel for period.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28479 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sundry Grids from my lot.
Pillar Of The Community
6776 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get me going..I have hundreds of cancels I have not had time to search yet EMaxim

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
6776 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EMaxim

Your first Small Queen may be one of the cancels below..Maybe
Robert

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all who responded here. Very helpful. And especially to you, Robert. That's a pretty impressive collection.

Eric
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05