Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Barbados 1876: Watermark Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is Scott #50 (SG #72). Watermark 1 (Crown & CC). In the scan, only a portion of the crown shows in the lower right quatrant. You will also see (I hope) that the watermark includes frame lines around the crown. I've never seen that frame element on British colonial watermarks. Is it common? Or particular to Barbados? Couldn't find info either in Scott or SG.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1319 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest it's the frameline of the watermark layout.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Bobby. Makes sense. I'd simply never seen such before.

Eric
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watermark 1 with frame line.
http://goscf.com/t/67477

The Crown CC Dandy Roll was used on Crown Agents colonies stamps.
Including:
Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2020 11:59 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check also your 1920 Sc# Type A16
Crown CA (Missing the "A") Wmk
discovered in 2016
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what clarified it for me.

Thanks Rod!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome.
I still have a nagging problem, unresolved,
I read something, somewhere, in the past, that some watermarked paper was used on the Commonwealth colonies, where the stamp design, did not match the dandy roll, ergo, stamps exist without watermarks, or with frame lines such as yours.

I've looked but cannot find that information, yet.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've just gone through the Gambia page in SG and it states:

The above (referring to 1886-1893 Wmk. Crown CA sideways) were printed in panes of 15 on paper intended for larger panes. Hence the watermark is sometimes misplaced or omitted and letters from CROWN AGENTS FOR THE COLONIES (their caps) from the margin may appear on the stamps.

It wouldn't be this would it, Rod? (Comes from the same thread in which I found, and here reproduced, your full page of Crown CA watermarks.)

Eric
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Eric ! that saved a WHOLE lot of searching.
Well done you.
Now to save it with a pertinent text string.........
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Emaxim -

Look at the watermark 1 (crown and cc) on the right edge of this Antiqua revenue plate block under the 38, and you can see where your stamp was printed on the sheet - the watermark line runs right down the middle of your stamp. I found one the other day from India that looks similar to yours from the back, the watermark line was down the middle.

Linus

(from my WW block collection)
Edited by Linus - 01/17/2020 12:14 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Linus. That, together with the above full sheet that Rod posted back in August 2018, explains everything about these watermarks with frame line. Something new to watch for.
Eric
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05