Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Choice Of Printer For Printing Album Pages

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
988 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What printer do you use to print your own album pages or Steiner pages?

Will it take 110lb paper?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Timm - 01/16/2020 03:44 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/15/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steiner Pages
Cannot afford colour printer
Brother L23 40 DW Laser Black and White Printer (Circa $80?)
Generic Toner Refills $14 each (2000 + sheets?)
(Low grade album pages)
Works faultlessly.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/15/2020 9:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2658 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend a laser since it will reduce print costs and less trouble than inkjets. Toner cartridges do not dry out like inkjets. I have an HP color laser and a Brother HL-1650 and both work fine with 67#. I have had fewer issues with lasers too.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/16/2020 11:35 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use an Epson Workforce 1100 which is a wide carriage inkjet, for making my own designed pages using blank Scott Specialty album pages. Not sure the stock thickness, but pretty good quality. I hooked it up on my network AP so I could access it wirelessly and it has been a relaible printer for several years. I print my pages with color images of the stamps mainly because I am too lazy to convert to gray scale.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Brother wide-format inkjet which cost about $100 on sale a few years ago and print on Scott size pages. I would prefer a laser printer but am not aware of any inexpensive wide-format ones. Does anyone know of one?
Valued Member
Spain
162 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
Brother printers are the ones that take best thick paper, but they also have a certain limit.
The printing system that recompense is ink jet. The laser is printed with powder and the powder over the years adheres to what is in front of it and disappears in part from the original.
Regards.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laser is the way to go. I'm partial to HP's myself. Have worked on them for quite a number of years. Simple to repair and parts are always available. A laser (monochrome) is way less on cost per page versus an inkjet. Color laser is a little more cost per page but worth it if you plan on printing a lot of pages. Curious on why you are using such thick stock. I've used 24, 28, 32 and 67 lb stock. I think that the stock Scott and Harris pages may be somewhere around 24 - 28 lb???
Learn More...
7727 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In general laser prints will outlast inkjet prints. Laser toner does not fade as much nor is it as susceptible to moisture as inkjet ink. Folks can look this up online to verify.

But keep in mind that the paper/ink combination can greatly impact how the printed page performs and the standard recommendations for a maintained environment are in play. Additionally, it is absolutely false economy to buy cheap 'acid-free' paper and 3rd party ink/toner. If you want to invest in quality album pages that are least impacted by aging and stay going good, you should spend money on paper and ink. Truly archival paper is costly and you are not going to find it sitting in Office Depot. There is also archival inks and toner but it is also costly and harder to find.

Definitely stay away from the cheap 3rd party inks for inkjets if you care about fading printouts, color accuracy, and maintaining your printer. There is a reason why these void the printer warrantee, to sell them at a cheap price they use more volatile carrriers which evaporate much more quickly. This causes clogging in the ink nozzles and can also end up etching the print head.

Here is how cheap inkjet prints age... quality ink top, cheap 3rd party ink in middle row and bottom rows.

Ink/toner and paper are a commodities items; you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
Don

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
Fading is definitely an issue with color printing, but do you think it is much of an issue with black/grayscale printing of album pages?
Learn More...
7727 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   5:46 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill,
Yes, I think so especially with inexpensive inks, many paper/ink combinations, and/or less then ideal environmental conditions.
Don
Valued Member
5 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crmcdona to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Ricoh SP C360DNw. Quality is great, toner is expensive $129 per color.

I have created US supplements similar to White Ace, with historical and issue info for 2017-2019. I print on 65# card stock, three hole punched, and then round corners with a scrapbooking tool from Hobby Lobby. *** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***

Best,
Craig McDonald
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05