Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Philatelic Expertizing Service Certificates

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,317Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
651 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the CPES Certificate as a certification. I see it more as an ownership mark. It's something that identifies the stamp as being owned by a collector/dealer of fine stamps. It describes the stamp like a Lot Description.

VGG Certificates are the best, however, I have currently seen many that do not point out faults in the stamps. sometimes major faults. If you want to spend $40-70 on certificate then that's up to you. The VGG Certificate does increase realizations but the amount of the increase maybe very little on a stamp with a hammer price of $200 or less. If you have a truly expensive stamp then the VGG certificate is the one to get. You may have to put up a fight to get the correct opinion.

Both CPES and Gratton (AEIP) certificates are not recognized by better Auction houses in Canada. The difference is the AIEP certificate is expensive, whereas, the Dealer gives you the CPES certificate with the purchase of the stamp. I see almost no value in the Gratton (AEIP) certificate. When I sell high value stamps at auction, they just toss CPES and Gratton certs in the garbage. I hate to say it but that's true.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4604 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good info Jimjung. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
3288 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it wrong to provide a certificate of authenticity for a variety that one has discovered?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you discovered the variety an unbiased certificate is necessary from a certifying agency. You would be the submitter.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 04/01/2020 8:36 pm
Valued Member
381 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A peer-reviewed article in a philatelic journal is probably better than a self- generated cert.

I dislike the overall tone of this thread so far, a little community respect please:

Richard Gratton, an AIEP accredited philatelist, has 40+ years experience in pulp and paper. He has also published several peer-reviewed articles on paper in the Canadian Philatelist. Ariel Hasid has supported and dealt in high-end BNA philately for decades.

Perhaps readers should know this before accepting postings on a chatboard as truth.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,317Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05