Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Danish West Indies/United States Dual Franking

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Reedededge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is one of my favorite covers. About 3 years ago, when I basically reached an impasse on my U.S. collection, I expanded into possessions and trust territories. My favorite aspect of this area was postal history with dual frankings emanating from the territory or possession. Canal Zone and Hawaii were predictably my first two additions. Then came Philippines and Guam followed by Cuba...DWI, with only 3 covers in the census, seemed like the "holy grail", and one that could potentially evade me for a long time (if not forever). Then this opportunity presented itself, and I was lucky enough to make the acquisition. I am thrilled to have it in my collection!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Reedededge - 01/16/2020 9:36 pm

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty sweet! Would you mind walking us through the elements present on this cover?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reedededge - very nice. Where did your cover originate? Those covers are rare, but I'm not sure I follow your statement that it is one of three known.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1842 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice item.

I did some snooping, and I found this cover, which is a mate to it, from the same correspondence. They originated in Venezuela.

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...-933-lot-377

The DWI stamp on cover at the start of this thread got by St Thomas without being cancelled, whereas the one I linked was cancelled at St Thomas. I think the point being made is that other covers at St Thomas that same day also did not get the stamp cancelled.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TX -
so one of three on that date? Or one of three with that specific combination of #68 and the DWI stamp? I know there are more than three combo covers but some have 10 cent grilled stamps and some the 10 cent '69 or maybe a different DWI stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1842 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the lot description:

Quote:
This is one of three recorded U.S. and Danish West Indies mixed-franking covers sent from St. Thomas on June 13, 1867. The D.W.I. stamps on these covers were not cancelled at the St. Thomas post office. The covers were carried on the USBMSC North America, which departed St. Thomas on June 14, 1867, and arrived in New York on June 20.

So 3 covers that day.

I did some searching, and there aren't many of these mixed combination covers - they are very nice items.

The OP cover is ex-Risvold, which is a very good pedigree - from the collection of a very knowledgeable collector.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very very nice cover. I met Floyd Risvold once and he was a fascinating guy.
The US Brazil Mail Steamship Co. covers are a really interesting topic. I have a number of covers from various Caribbean and South American origins, but no mixed franking covers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1842 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The American Philatelic Congress Book: 1998 has a definitive article on this usage, including sailings.

"The United States and Brazil Mail Steamship Companies 1866-1893."
by John DuBois
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys.....I was out of the country for the last 6 days and am just now reading these replies. Thanks for all of the contributions and valuable additional information on what is probably my favorite classic mixed franking.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1842 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One interesting thing that I got out of the Congress book article, is that St Thomas actually kept a supply of US stamps available for purchase at the St Thomas PO.

That is why you see these kind of frankings here.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
St Thomas actually kept a supply of US stamps available for purchase at the St Thomas PO.

I have a cover from St. Lucia to New York via St. Thomas with a 10 cent '61 grill that I assume was applied in St. Thomas.
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too have seen U.S. stamps with DWI postmarks, but I still believe the mixed frankings are very scarce. There is definitely some fascinating history to the early postal usages and routes traveled to/from these possessions/territories.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05