Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Cover To Canada With Custom Duty Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a cover that's a little beat up but the contents from it are in really nice condition.
Maybe this should be in the US section but it's also got a Canada Customs Duty stamp on the back.
I like the flag cancel from Pleasant Hill Ohio and the one cent stamp looks to be a coil but is this the correct value it seems low for the time period?
Is the Duty stamp on the back just a misplaced stamp or was there duty paid on an Item like this?
I welcome and appreciate all comments

Cheers, Bill

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6672 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
***** a little beat up *****

THE understatement of the year!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Canadian customs duty stamp was applied by the sender. Canada charged a duty on incoming advertising (now called "junk mail"). Since it would not endear the advertiser if the addressee was charged the duty, provisions were made for a sender outside of Canada affix a customs duty stamp to the mailed ad as proof that they had paid the required duty.
Pillar Of The Community
2473 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have a piece of 3rd class mail, which is printed matter, advertisements and such, which could be mailed at 1 cent per 2 ounces, even to Canada. Per 3rd class regulations, the envelope was unsealed. Notice the side flap which could be pulled open for inspection, which must have been done and customs assessed for some reason. It would be interesting to see the contents.

The flag cancel was used at Pleasant Hill, Ohio 1914-1936, and is uncommon, rated at 40 points in Langford's Flag Cancel Encyclopedia. The absence of the month/day in the dial is consistent with a 3rd class use.

add:

Quote:
The Canadian customs duty stamp was applied by the sender ...

Jarnick, How would foreign (non-Canadian) mailers know about the customs regulation and bought stamps for application?
Edited by John Becker - 01/17/2020 5:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2473 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll answer my own question!

From the July 1, 1922 "U.S. Official Postal Guide", page 152, the procedure is fully described in section 180, both in application method and how to obtain the stamps:

Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter I have to agree, I came across a box full of WWI letters and items like this.
The letters were found in a abandoned home it's not so much about the condition as it is about the content.
The piece missing on the left border is from mice.
It's the mail from the Simpson family spanning from early 1900 up to about 1950 and the content is amazing and every so complete.
There are even letters from family members that were in WWII.
I also appreciate the replies and answers to my questions. Your correct about the content being advertising. You guys are good!!
Pictures below are the envelopes contents

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05