Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Apo 3909 - Where Was It Please ?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
338 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have just got a cover that is on the edge of my Canadian collecting interests. It is from a Canadian serviceman in 1943 but is is posted from APO 3909 using a US 6c airmail stamp with a return address of Postmaster Sanfrancisco. There is alo the passed by U.S. censor resealing label.

On the internet I have not been able to find out where APO 3909 was stationed. Can someone please help me.

AQ
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2128 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a close-up of the APO number? By my references, 3909 wasn't a valid APO number during WWII.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Learn More...
7693 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Below is what I have

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2128 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

That list appears to be from the 70s or 80s.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Learn More...
7693 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   07:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood, at one point I was going to put together an online small APO database so folks could quickly lookup APO number but no one seemed to want to give up their lists. This was the only list I could dig up.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6321 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
585 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ross Carter's Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations assigns APO 3909 to APO 501 in Australia during 1943. APO 501 served the Headquarters, U. S. Armed Forces in the Far East. At the time your cover was posted, APO 501 was located at Brisbane, Australia. Are you sure this is from a Canadian? The O-735101 appears to me as an American Officer's Serial Number. As I understand it, until 1945, Canadian officers never received numbers and were identified by name and rank only.

Edited by jarnick - 01/18/2020 4:33 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
338 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions here are some more scans as requested

I took the APO3909 number from the corner card which a previous owner has turned back to reveal

However a close up of the unfortunately blurred rubber APO cancellation appears to read 391? and I am not totally sure about the 9 which may be 0 and also the 1 and as for the last number, which based on the symmetry of the canceller should be there I think could be 4 based on what appears to be the angular top but that is more of a guess than anything.
So possibly 3914 or 3014 but ????

I am fairly certain the censor number is 1613 if that helps.

I do not know if there is enough info in he scans to be sure about this but it would be interesting to know where he was when this was sent. and I have not been able to find anything out from the service number.

AQ

Pillar Of The Community
2453 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AQ,
The cancel does not contain an APO number. What you are reading as 391 is the word SERVICE.

The "Geographic Locations of U.S. APOs 1941-84" published by the War Cover Club notes there is little specific information about these high-numbered APOs other than they were used as temporary APO numbers for groups in transit between static destinations. Thus I would interpret Jarnick's reference above to indicate that your soldier used APO 3909 briefly while in transit on his way to being stationed at APO 501, or leaving there for somewhere else. I have several near-complete correspondences which show this type of APO use in transit.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
338 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AHHHH I see. The text at the top reads US ARMY POSTAL SERVICE / A.P.O. That makes perfect sense and is obvious now you have pointed it out.

Thank you

AQ
Valued Member
United Kingdom
338 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jarnick

Quote:
The O-735101 appears to me as an American Officer's Serial Number. As I understand it, until 1945, Canadian officers never received numbers and were identified by name and rank only.

I had not considered that.

Wikipedia says that Canadian Officers were not given numbers until after the war and the number preceding the service number represented the Canadian Military district (1 to 11) that they came from. However I have covers from Canadians with service numbers starting with R (and other letters from memory) so that does not seem totally correct. I did not consider that my cover came from an officer.

This is from the following web page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servi...my)#Officers

Quote:
By 1942, the Army had also discontinued the prefix O and established that all officer numbers would begin with a zero. For instance, an officer with the service number O-2 345 678 would have the number written in military records as 02 345 678.

Lots more to find out I guess.

AQ
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28379 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ross Carter's Numbered Army & Air Force Post Office Locations assigns APO 3909 to APO 501 in Australia during 1943. APO 501 served the Headquarters, U. S. Armed Forces in the Far East. At the time your cover was posted, APO 501 was located at Brisbane, Australia. Are you sure this is from a Canadian? The O-735101 appears to me as an American Officer's Serial Number. As I understand it, until 1945, Canadian officers never received numbers and were identified by name and rank only.

From a cursory glance at my Reference, I can not find any 3909 or 501 listed here.......
(Newbie in this discipline)
Pillar Of The Community
2453 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be useful to have the soldier's full name. Can you backlight it and read it? Or put a few drops of watermark fluid on it to make it more transparent?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
338 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   05:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The officers (if that is what he was) surname is clear in the image I posted above. It is Kowski unfortunately the initials and possible rank are under the censor label and unreadable.

I have not found any online sources that are generally available to connect service numbers with names or histories. The Canadian one seem to be locked for the time being.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
2453 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that the FULL surname? How about Kokowski, Lekowski, etc., and he just made his Ks a bit large and the censor tape is wide.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
338 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JOhn

The censor tape is damaged and very fragile where it has previously been folded back. I guess a previous owner wanted to answer the same question. I took a risk and scanned that portion - luckily it held together. I am not sure it helps very much though. Perhaps you can see something more than I can

If this was from an American it is possible to look up the service number somewhere? I have not found anything on the net but perhaps someone in the USA may know.I am in the UK and have to rely on the web for my info.

Have just noticed the seller I got it from thought the name may be Solkowski

AQ
Edited by Anthraquinone - 01/20/2020 5:14 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05