Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Paper Sizes Used By Album Makers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if album paper sizes are derived from some large paper size cut down.

For example, the Scott International page measures 9.25x11.25 and if you use 6 up (2 rows of 3) you get 27.75x22.5.

Vellum Bristol basis size is 22.5 x 28.5 so this could be a possible size.

So, if someone wanted to create their own pages and went to a paper supply, how would it be done without a lot of waste?
Send note to Staff
Al
Edited by angore - 01/18/2020 08:02 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6667 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think a paper supplier could answer this ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
699 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the sizes of album pages -- which vary from one manufacturer to another, so that no page seems to fit another brand of album -- are derived from larger sheets, but simply chosen by the album maker. The excess paper left over after cutting these sheets is the paper supplier's problem, I suppose. When Minkus came out with their albums in about the 1960s to compete with the existing Scott albums, I remember, they chose to use slightly different page sizes which were only off by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Why do that? Most likely to insure that anyone who purchased a Minkus album, could not use Scott pages of any kind (including blank pages) in it. They'd have to use only Minkus pages.

Today, Schaubek pages are a different size from Lighthouse, Davo, etc. This can't be because of some larger requirement related to paper size or avoiding paper waste. It must be because the manufacturer wants their own unique page size -- plus some attention to what their designers think makes for the best layout, the best look for the album, and so on. These are elements of brand uniqueness along with design qualities, but probably not due to manufacturing qualities. But I could always be wrong.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05