Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal Rate Question San Francisco To Hannover April1866

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i just won a bid on a cover from San Francisco to Hannover (german state) I think april 1866

but it has 43 cents postage on it, would that be right?

it also states: via panama

will post pictures once it arrives.

any help appreciated, stamp smarter didn't help for this one
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
575 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the cover. Did you ask for a scan of the backside?

Was it the Jasper bid(which I will not mention), or did you have to go higher?

kind regards, Johan.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the jasper bid was mine, but it went higher off line to cut a deal

anything special on backside? I didn't ask
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1866, the default mail route from San Francisco was overland mail daily to New York. However a lot of foreign mail was endorsed to go via Panama. Same rates applied

In April 1866 and in effect till Jan 1868 the rates available to Hanover from San Francisco were:

1. Via British open mail 21c by Am Packet until January 1868 (rarely used)
2. Prussian Closed Mail 28c
3. French mail rate 21c/42c by weight quarter/half ounce
4. Bremen/Hamburg Mail 15c
Jan 1868 rates became 10c or 15c until July 1870
Edited by Richard Frajola - 01/18/2020 12:10 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard, thank you, I am now guessing french overpaid by 1
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, I have seen more covers with stamp replaced with wrong stamps than I have overpayments.

Easy to tell if you advise the other markings, or manuscript sender directives, on the cover. If French mail, it should have a French entry datestamp. If it has a boxed Aachen Franco mark, it is Prussian Closed Mail, or Bremen / Hamburg the a backstamp of one of those two offices.

Also, the New York exchange office marking would have different numerals that make a determination easy. That is the only way to verify correct rate or correct franking. In general,overpayments require careful examination.

Typical markings associated with the various services may be seen on the exhibit frame shown on my website here:
https://www.rfrajola.com/AGX/agx4.htm

Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi richard,

while doing some research I came across this site, it was very helpful

as soon as I have it in hand I will post and we can discuss before I send of for cert
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
closed this one and opened a new one with pictures
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05