Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying My Hand At Fly Specking. Comparing Two 165's...

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hab to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Playing at fly specking today and comparing these two Canada 165's and notice some variances such as around the bottom curl of the C in Canada on the right stamp has a bit of a white curl up into the red. Also on the right stamp on the bottom banner scroll looking thing (unsure if proper name lol) below the word cents, the right side ball ending has a white line joining down to the white frame line below it. Is this kind of stuff simple caused by a random use of too little ink or the like or would it be something associated to the plate itself? Also finding lots of issues of extra red ink in spots and the 2's on the left stamp look like they have a bit of a ghost morsel than the right. Again, just the ink amounts used?

Sorry for the possible silly questions but I am quite new to this and find it all interesting.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if you realize one is a die I and the other is from die II.
I'm new to this also and trying to learn also.
Hope you hear from the experts.

Cheers, Bill
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure if you realize one is a die I and the other is from die II.
I'm new to this also and trying to learn also. 
Hope you hear from the experts.

Cheers, Bill

No sir I did not! Thanks for that. Love learning this stuff
Pillar Of The Community
6774 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab...Your left stamp is DIE II and the right stamp is DIE I

These stamps do have a lot of white spots associated with 2 printings...Could be a paper attached to the plate...It to me does NOT appear to be under inked...I took a close look at your last picture, bottom right 2...Had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a re-entry....To me it is not a re-entry.

You can go to Ralph's re-entry.com to further investigation...Link below.
https://www.re-entries.com/index.html

I would wait for a time before sending Ralph any emails...I was talking to him and he is lets just say going through a difficult time...Please wait for a while before sending anything..ok.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers wert! I will not bother him now. Last thing someone needs when times are maybe a bit tough is to be hounded by newbs...
Edited by Hab - 01/18/2020 9:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3111 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the stamp on the left have a straight edge on the left side?
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does the stamp on the left have a straight edge on the left side?

No sir... just cropped it off accidently trying to get the pic small enough to post
Pillar Of The Community
6774 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab

jogil makes a good request...A picture of the stamp left edge would be helpful.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hab

jogil makes a good request...A picture of the stamp left edge would be helpful.

Robert

Here you go!

Pillar Of The Community
3111 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the stamp on the right stuck together with another stamp on its back?
Pillar Of The Community
6774 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is the stamp on the right stuck together with another stamp on its back?

I had saw this earlier and as jogil states and I also believe your stamp is glued/stuck with another stamp behind it..Please check this out for us and get back to us.

Robert

Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had saw this earlier and as jogil states and I also believe your stamp is glued/stuck with another stamp behind it..Please check this out for us and get back to us.

I don't believe so but I will confirm this evening! Maybe just some leftover paper from the original removal (before my time) or discoloration? You have me thinking now..
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Confirmed... no extra stamp but there are remnants of old paper on the back from being removed poorly from and envelope so it feels a bit thick.
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two more of my 165's, both in much better condition. One used and one unused.

Pillar Of The Community
6774 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab
Any questions you have with the last two pictures with reference to flyspecking, I mean what are you looking for from us my friend..?

Robert

Never stop flyspecking..That is how new constant varieties are found.
Edited by wert - 01/23/2020 8:33 pm
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hab
Any questions you have with the last two pictures with reference to flyspecking, I mean what are you looking for from us my friend..?

Robert

Never stop flyspecking..That is how new constant varieties are found.

OMG!! I can't believe I did that! I was intending on talking about the vacations in the red ink on the used one compared to the new one but I brain farted lol!

Notably again above the bottom curl of the C in Canada but also above the N in Canada as well. Along the bottom of the used stamps as well there are many little vacations.
Edited by Hab - 01/23/2020 8:42 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05