Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Re-Perfing - Is It Really Worth It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 705Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
38 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Batessa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the most recent discussion had talk of re-perfing and certs. I had a question for the guru's. Is it now easier to detect manipulation of stamps because of better technology? Or is it just that the technology is more widely available? I'm one of those that inherited a pretty cool collection from his dad. I find the issue of re-perfing fascinating. Why do people re-perf? To fake a certain stamp? To better center a stamp? Does it really have a significant financial impact on a stamp? Does anyone have really good examples of before and after or bad examples?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6817 Posts
Posted 01/20/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do people re-perf? To fake a certain stamp? To better center a stamp? Yes to both. And just because most collectors don't like straight edges. And reperfing is an old crime, it has been done for over 100 years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In addition, I think re perforating can be done to conceal a fault affecting one side of a stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1402 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:50 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short Answer: Start here in the Philatelic Hall of Shame:

https://www.hgitner.com/vPages.asp?...ted%20Stamps

https://www.hgitner.com/vPages.asp?...aked%20Coils

Also check the Philatelic Foundation web site:

http://www.philatelicfoundation.org...d-forgeries/
Edited by cfrphoto - 01/21/2020 12:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
782 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great links. Enjoyed reading those, cfrphoto.

One reason for reperfing (or just perfing) a stamp is that a collector wants the stamp to look better. They may be thinking it will remain in their collection all their life without giving thought to how it may someday be sold and cause confusion. I've looked at stamps with straight edges and thought how easy it would be to add some perfs -- if I knew how to do it, and if I weren't the honest person I am.

The problem doesn't come from the natural instinct to "tidy up" a stamp which we all understand, I'm sure, but from the fact that some stamps are altered into what appear to be much more valuable stamps. Crossing that line can get very uncomfortable.
Edited by DrewM - 01/26/2020 02:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1402 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, most reperforated stamps are unnatural looking and ugly.
Edited by cfrphoto - 01/26/2020 09:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6817 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many fake roulettes can be downright hideous.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
507 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice articles - the one they have on regumming is good too.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 705Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05