Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pictures Cover From San Francisco To Hannover (German State) I Think April 1866,

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
with a N York Br Pkt transit stamp, may 2?

any thought?? I cant figure out the back stamp, and the franking at 43 cents

this is a cover with a PF cert I found searching for this one

Send note to Staff
Edited by Dutch US Stamp Collector - 01/21/2020 08:14 am

Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
just a thought: overpaid 1 for french route via panama, but instead traveled to new york by land?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Austria
151 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The back stamp should be "BERGE", like written in the front address. A little town in Lower Saxony (Municipal assoc. Fürstenau).
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tommtomm,

yes it is. stupid...i was making this to complicated

now the puzzle is the rate
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1851 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your cover traveled via Prussian Closed Mail.
Aachen "Franco" indicates that it was fully paid via this treaty.
A single rate via PCM is 28c as Richard pointed out.

It certainly happens that people prepay covers assuming that they will travel via a certain mail treaty/route, and they sometimes get carried via another. I'm not 100% sure what the sender was assuming here, and I agree that a careful inspection of the cover would be warranted to make sure there are no missing or replaced stamps.

It is possible that the sender anticipated a double 21c rate and just overpaid that.

edit: I should add that the NYC transit marking on your cover shows a '7' credit, which is indicative of a paid single rate via PCM. To the left of "Aachen" appears to be a '28', which would be the single rate.
Edited by txstamp - 01/21/2020 11:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1851 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here would be a good reference cover for this rate and route:

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...-745-lot-467

It is also important to nail down the year of mailing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2367 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is also important to nail down the year of mailing.

This may help in that effort.
The John Williams book shows the first use of a double ring San Francisco CDS with out a year was cataloged as SAF-620 and used on Jul 17 1862. That CDS measures 25.5mm 13.5mm 6L. The L is the distance between the first letter of city to first letter of state in mm.
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil,

all the measurements are 100% as you stated
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
does anyone know what period
the green achen franco was used?
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i mean blue of course
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2367 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
does anyone know what period
the green blue achen franco was used?

The Siegel link txstamp provided above shows a red boxed achen cancel on the 1864 cover
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1851 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In a very quick, unscientific lookup, I found the blue Aachen marking in 1864, 1865, 1866 and 1867. The red one was used prior to and also concurrent with it.

I think, actually, given the markings on the cover, that it was used prior to 1868, per Richard's comments, and the rate information that he and I have provided is, therefore, correct for this time frame.

So, just refer to my initial reply in this thread.
Edited by txstamp - 01/21/2020 1:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1851 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your cover most likely weighed between 1/4 and 1/2 ounce. That would put it at a double rate for French Treaty Mail (42c), and a single rate for Prussian Closed Mail (28c).

The sender did not endorse how he wanted the mail sent from New York, and left that open. He pre-paid it so that it could go by any steamer / mail treaty.
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you so much for all the help!!!!!!!

a very helpful SCF friend has estimated, with being rough on edges and overpaid rate,the value at 150 to 250 USD. what are your toughs?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1851 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will defer on price. Obviously the item has condition issues, however, it is certainly an interesting usage.

The San Francisco Cogwheel cancels are well struck, and that will help it.
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you, very gentleman like
hoping to have some opinions on price
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05