Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With A Few Mexican Stamp - Perf Challenges And Question On Authenticity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
451 Posts
Posted 01/21/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I decided to dip my toe into a few of my Mexican Numeral stamps (eek - those are going to be tough), as well as what I believe to be Scott #94 and a questionable Sonora imperf. As always I appreciate your guidance - as they say no question is a stupid question.....right? :)

Ok here we go:

1st. stamps: I see that they have the blue line ruled paper - one vertical and the other horizontal. The perfs are funky...any clues what Scott#s these could be? - I cannot find the 10 brown color with the lined paper anywhere.

Next Stamp:
I think this is a #94 - looks good, overprint with Matamoros (which is where my Dad is from), and district number. I turn it around and - huh? what is going on there - half is clear the other with a design. Is this some sort of fake?

Last Stamp:
Very pretty and clean Scott 406? - I mean I guess it is real - who would reprint a penny value stamp? just seems to pristine.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/22/2020 12:01 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I turn it around and - huh? what is going on there - half is clear the other with a design. Is this some sort of fake?

That is a "Moire" Pattern on the back in Blue, giving you confidence the stamp is genuine.
SG #88 1872 12c Blue

Note: The Moire pattern on the back, has also been forged, I have no reference to how the genuine Moire pattern looks.

Watermarks can be
Wmk SG #8a in sheet
Papel sellado
La Croix
Exists on very thick paper

Bib: The Visual Sources of Hidalgo Stamps 1856-1872 (Monograph)
Author : Farley P Katz.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/22/2020 12:31 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Suggestion:
Questions and Answers on a country's stamps, can be a fabulous resource for new Students of Mexican Philately.

Employing a new thread with every question goes towards entropy, where eventually the thread fades into dust amongst 1000's of other questions.

Good scholarship would encourage questions (if possible ) on the same country, to remain in 1 thread, it makes for great reading and study.
If the question does not get answered (a new question will always go to the top of the "unread" list) one can always "bump" the topic.

For your reflection.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
451 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got it Rod - you are correct - I should have gone back to my Mexico Thread from the beginning to add on - I never know which way to go. Apologies, I will be more diligent and considerate next time.

Thank you for the info on the Moire and other Hidalgo literature.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita,
the basic (genuine) stamp, is nice, seems average value, yet the watermarked paper can be quite valuable
The Laid Paper "papel sellado" was cataloguing 125 in 1969

PS: First time I have ever seen the reference to an engraved stamp printed by Lithography, ...learning all the time.
Edited by rod222 - 01/22/2020 12:36 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sonora Coach Stamps
http://goscf.com/t/62248
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
451 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a difference having a Scott Catalogue has made - it has helped me tremendously to positively ID many more stamps - however, I have been dragging my heels on watermarks. My next purchase must be a watermark kit. So far only the Spanish stamps have been easy to identify (watermarks) with the naked eye.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I cannot find the 10 brown color with the lined paper anywhere.

Stanley Gibbons #185 1887 10c Brown
exists:
P12
P6
P12x6
Yours may be a rough Perforate Guage 12x6 (The most valuable, 32 shillings 1969)

Note "Brown" can also sometimes be a colour mis-read of Lilac in some countries.
Edited by rod222 - 01/22/2020 12:51 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28476 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott is my major catalogue reference,
sometimes however Stanley Gibbons comes in very handy

This would have cost me $3 or $5 ? at a book bourse.
Pick one up if you can, in your travels, NOT the Stanley Gibbons World
that is too basic.

1969 Stanley Gibbons Part 3, 1969
America, Asia and Africa
Mexico example of depth.............

Edited by rod222 - 01/22/2020 01:04 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
451 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm my Scott has the blue lines variety (that includes a 10 that is brown lil) only in perf 6 or 6X12. These perfs are really tricky on these stamps. I need to start working my MEPSI membership - I have a LOT of these numerals - all colors and sizes.

EDIT -just saw your more updated Scott page - yes I see they have a 12X6 - that makes sense :) Here are the pages I referenced - mine says 6X12 which did not fit - maybe they updated it (mine is a 2000).

Thank you.

Edited by Mrita75 - 01/22/2020 08:21 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05