Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unique House Of Commons Postage Free Letter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
6765 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have lots of these type of stamp free Government letters as many collectors have...The interesting thing about this cover it was send by the ""Honorable Robert Stanbury"" with a cancel from ""House of Commons""..Others I have have just a regular cancel on the cover....

This one by the looks of it had the cover initialed by Robert Stanbury...Unique

Robert

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
63 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this is unique but I hope it is as I have several that have both a House of Commons cancel (although from a much earlier time period) and initialed by the sender on the lower left side of the envelope.
The practice of initialing the free franked envelopes was also used by the militia during WWI at least.
The ones I have are complete and with contents and the signatures of the sender are a match to the initials on the envelopes.

Cheers, Bill
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6670 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe these are not cancels but metered postage ?

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
63 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple of mine sent to Mr. Simpson from his MP, MP's last name is Seasmith.
The last picture compares the signature to the initials on the envelope.
Would these be metered postage?

Cheers, Bill

Pillar Of The Community
2465 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the first one, how about ...
"The free frank was applied by a meter machine and received no subsequent postmark after it entered the mails."

For the other two, The first went through an International Postal Supply Co canceling machine with a modified killer section to denote a free frank... + various handstamps.

The word "unique" certainly does not apply.
Edited by John Becker - 01/22/2020 6:01 pm
Valued Member
Canada
63 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize to wert I don't want to steal your thread but I'd like to understand.
I thought this hand stamp from the House of Commons was from the House of Commons mail office and added first and it in itself would be sufficient to travel through the mail.
If so why were the Ottawa cancels even added?
These two items were sent less then three weeks apart to and from the same address but the earlier dated one (second picture) seems more like a hand cancel then a metered one.
Why this difference?

Cheers, Bill
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05