Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japan Booklet Pane Issue Circa 1980 - Unable To ID In Scott Nor In Sakura

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gumtree55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The design is based on SC 1416 and I do not have an image of the booklet cover.
The serial number is interesting and I am wondering if perhaps these were dispensed in a machine.
It was unusual and my curiosity led me to purchase as it appears to be genuine.

Has anyone here seen these before?
Cheers
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4532 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try 1980 issue . Scott 1416 and 1437
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1409 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the Scott #1437 a coil stamp, imperf on the left and right hand sides?
Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gumtree55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this is the perplexing thing. It is not imperforate at all so it is not like a normal booklet issue. There is no record of a booklet issue for these in any case. Further, most perorated stamps were issued in sheets of 20 with wider margin tabs than shown in this case. Exceptions to this rule are usually noted. It is also curious that Sakura doe not have an image of this booklet - their catalogue imaging is far more comprehensive than Scott.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28840 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Observations.
Sakura 462 (480 coil)
Animal, Plant & National Treasure series
1966-1989
Booklet Panes BP32 to BP44

Booklet Pane BP43 appears to be missing
Booklet Panes do not appear to be numbered.

Possibly a partial sheet ?

Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gumtree55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a partial sheet was my thinking except for two things.
Most significant is the presence of a serial number. These may have been specially purposed for something - maybe Government office issue or something related to an inventory? Who knows.
Also most sheets of 20 are 4 across and five down. This is 5 across - maybe from a sheet of 50?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28840 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most significant is the presence of a serial number. These may have been specially purposed for something - maybe Government office issue or something

A lot of countries serialise their stamp sheets, as a form of print accounting.
(A record of gross production is still "accounting" in my book)
Australia for instance.

Edited by rod222 - 01/24/2020 5:54 pm
Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gumtree55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The serial numbers in Japan are typically found only on their New Year Issues.
This type font is not seen in general issues.
Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gumtree55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sample Japan Issue I uploaded did not seem to work - here it is again
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28840 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wondered where you were going with that
Gumtree, there is a direct difference there, being the print on the stamp, and that on the selvedge.

It appears very important to you, time to seek advice from Japan bloggers or a Japanese society.
I've exhausted my observations.
Please let us know what you find.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1409 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The larger stamps shown above with red numerals are New Year lottery stamps. Each stamp has a unique number. Japan has issued this type of stamp since 1989.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28840 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The larger stamps shown above with red numerals are New Year lottery stamps. Each stamp has a unique number. Japan has issued this type of stamp since 1989.

As New Zealand also, just once from memory. "Scratch and win" ?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1409 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The NZ stamps each have an attached tab with a scratch and
win type label in a competition to win prizes of cinema tickets, free
stamps and a trip to Hollywood"

http://stampsnz.com/1996_centenary_..._cinema.html
Valued Member
Australia
21 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gumtree55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to get this if only to satisfy my curiosity.
The inscriptions translate roughly as
1988 Anata no machi no yubin kyoku [Your local / town post office]
Fujisan me-ru pen [Mt Fuji Mail Writing]
Yubin Kitte [Post Office Stamps] Choba [accounting office] shu [collection]
The photo inscription is #30000; #36011; #28246; Lake Tanuki [an artificial lake] & Fujisan [Mt Fuji] Sakura [cherry blossom]
So this appears to be an internal / in house collection for the Japanese Post Office Stamps Accounting Office. The cover is good commercial Printing quality, similar to other Japan Booklet Panes.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05