Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help - Ddr Definitives Of 1953-1959 35ph

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Cyprus
41 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nicos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello
Please help about the stamp on the left as it looks different and I did not find information about it.
Thank you guys
[URL="https://top4top.io/][/url]
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4461 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One is Lithography and the other typography . Both very common of little value .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Cyprus
41 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for replying . But there are other differences.
á

[URL="https://top4top.io/][/url]
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6666 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are the differences - totally different printing method means different results

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2853 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nicos,

The litho stamp on the left is a reprint with a machine-printed cancellation and as floortrader says these are very common.

However, it's fun trying to find the original litho stamps amongst the huge numbers of reprints.

The original litho set have the final "E" of "DEUTSCHE" over the letters "AT" rather than just over the "A" as here.

The typo originals and reprints share the same design with the "E" over the "A".
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2853 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison, here are a few of the original litho set:
Nigel
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmdregs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I learned something....good question and answers.
Valued Member
Cyprus
41 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys.
You amaze me with your wonderful information!
Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the three versions of the stamp mentioned if you want to compare:

Litho, Reprint/CTO and Typo.

There are a number of differences.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Edited by danstamps54 - 01/23/2020 11:29 am
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first stamp is actually offset printed. It's Michel 374. You can collect 4 versions, 2 watermark types and 2 Nachdruck (reprint from same plate) types.

The other stamp is typograph printed, Michel 417. It comes in 7 versions, 2 paper types, 3 watermark types and 2 Neudruck (reprint from a new plate) types.

As floortrader noted they are almost worthless, but they are an excellent collecting challenge.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28376 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You may wish to see the entire set (not including the reprints)
in order
Here, in Scott order on Steiner.
Assists in sorting the issues.
http://goscf.com/t/51245#443362
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
845 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't think this discussion was going to get so deep in the weeds.

Germania is correct. The first stamp, Mi 374 has four versions, a 2XI and a 2XII watermark in original and reprint

And the second, a Mi 417, has seven versions. 2XI, 2XII and a 2YI on "gestreichenes papier" (I call it chalky) and a 2XI and 2XII on "gew§hnliches papier" (I call it normal) paper.

If you collect DDR at this level (I don't) some versions are hardly worthless. The 2015 Michel catalog lists the "postfrisch" (I call that MNH) versions of the 374XI (2XI wmk.) at 60 Euros, the 374XII (2XII wmk.) at 20 Euros. The reprints are 0.20 Euros each. The 417 "postfrisch" values are 417xXI (2XI wmk.) 15 Euros, 417xXII (2XII wmk.) at 6 Euros with reprints of 0.20 and 1 Euro each. The 417XYI (gestreichenes Papier) (2YI wmk.) is so scarce it doesn't have a Michel catalog value. The reprints are 0.20 and 1 Euro each. The 417YXI (2XI wmk.)(gewh÷hnliches Papier) lists for 22 Euros and the 417YXII (2XII wmk.) for 40 Euros.

Probably more than most would want to know about this stamp.

Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
61 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Played with these for over 40 years! I still find them interesting! Still have many to go through, my favorites are postally used. When I retire they shall be enjoyed it seems!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05