Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Dollar Bills, Canceled With Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
203 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No doubt there is not really any monetary value to these (other than $2 each,) but has anyone seen something along these lines before?

Sort of like a bizarre FDC or something?

Just curious how these came to be.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1525 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

These stamps were cancelled by the post office on the first day of issue of the two dollar bills.

I made several of them myself. A trip to the bank and a trip to the post office.

Might want to search places like eBay to see if there is any premium associated with them in 2020.

Jim
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7710 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bad memories....
My sister, trying to be sweet and support my 'strange' hobbies, went to the PO and had one of these cancelled for me. She stuck the postmarked bill it in a plain envelope and gave it to me that year on my birthday. I carelessly torn into the envelope and ripped the bill into two! Doh. I felt like a real jerk and to this day still feel guilty about it.
Don
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what Wikipedia says...

"On November 3, 1975, Secretary of the Treasury William E. Simon announced the reissuance of the $2 note as a cost-saving measure; the new $2 notes would be available from banks on April 13, 1976, Thomas Jefferson's birthday. Series 1976 $2 bills were partially redesigned and reissued as a Federal Reserve Note. The note retains the same portrait of Jefferson, and the basic design of the obverse remains unchanged since 1928. The treasury seal and serial numbers are printed in green ink, replacing the red used on the previous United States Note. Since the reintroduction of the note coincided with the United States Bicentennial, it was decided to use a bicentennial-themed design on the reverse. The bill was not issued specifically to celebrate the bicentennial, as is widely assumed. An engraved rendition (not an exact reproduction) of John Trumbull's Declaration of Independence replaced Monticello on the reverse. First-day issues of the new $2 bills could be taken to a post office and stamped with the date "APR 13 1976". In all, 590,720,000 notes from Series 1976 were printed.
Currently, stamped Series 1976 $2 notes typically trade for about twice their face value. If the bills were stamped in a city with an unusual name, the value may be slightly higher. However, no first-day-issued 1976 $2 bills with postage stamps are especially rare or valuable."

Valued Member
Learn More...
203 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. As I said above, I knew they are not worth much, was just more curious about the history (and thank you Linus/James/51) for the stories!

Might be a fun "Cinderella" to combine two hobbies at some point by collecting different cities.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In April, 1976 I was living in London, but was visiting Los Angeles, where I had lived previously, and to which I would later return. April 13th happens to be my birthday (also Thomas Jefferson's) so I went to a bank, Gilmore Bank right next to the famous Farmer's Market at 3rd and Fairfax in LA, got a few of the new $2 bills, and took them to a nearby post office and had a couple of them postmarked. A lot of the facilities around Farmer's Market were also named Gilmore, there was a Gilmore Petroleum gas station there, and Gilmore Field, a minor league baseball stadium where the Pacific Coast League Hollywood Stars played back in the days before LA got its own major league teams.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
938 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmarked bills like this are really only of interest to philatelic collectors. Paper money collectors view them as damaged currency, worth exactly face value. Unpopular perception on this forum, but true.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These Bicentennial $2 FRNs show up in dealer price lists and at coin & currency shows usually from 1.5X to 2X face value. There are both stamp and coin collectors who collect these by state or locality and several I've run across in the last 30 years who are gathering as many different as they can find. A complete set of State Flag stamps from 1976 canceled on the notes is a desirable goal for some. Certainly not a market but they have a hidden following.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05