Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 546 Please Help With Confirmation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Czech Republic
9 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hallo ,please take a look at this two stamps.
Perforation is 11 X 11 on both of them.
Both of them are stretched vertikaly same way as on the picture IIa.
I thing it could be Scott 546.
And on the picture IIb there is a red line on the right side.
I never seen this red line on any stamp.
Do anyone known something about this red line please ?
Regards
Jan

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4183 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Type I. If indeed perf 11 it is Scott 499.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
220 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The line on the right edge is a center line, printed on the sheet in between panes to guide cutting the larger sheet into the panes (ordinarily four) into a convenient size for sale. Common to find on US stamps of that era - I suppose on 1 out of 10 of this size stamp.
Learn More...
7836 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More information on the red line here http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID_RareLines.html
Don
Valued Member
Czech Republic
9 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JNA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hallo, thank You for answers and link.

Valued Member
Czech Republic
9 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JNA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To rogdcam : How you known that is flat plate ?
Size of stamps shows me that they are rotary press printing.
If I compare to other 2 cents they are taller as showed on picture.
Did I compared the size wrong way ?
Jan
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5805 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The red line or as it's called a cut line tells us it's a flat plate printing. These were printed in sheets of 400 subjects and cut into 4 panes of 100 stamps. The red line / cut line is where the sheet was cut.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4183 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JNA - Forget trying to measure designs. Determine the perforation gauge first. You found it to be perf 11. Determine the Type. It is a Type I. 546 is Type III and so that is ruled out. That leaves either 461 or 499 depending on whether or not it is a watermarked stamp. I choose 499 based upon color and my experience.

Note: If you are going to measure design size use an actual stamp not an image.

And of course Stallzer pointed out the line which helps to confirm the printing method.
Valued Member
Czech Republic
9 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JNA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you rogdcam for explain to me how to do indentifing step by step.
I thought, that order of rocognizing steps is not inportat and stamp has to have all of the signs.

For the picture I just scan and print to 1:1. / I have stamps only on postcards/.
And I tested this picture on other 8 stamps, where fit perfectly +- less then 0,1 mm diff.

One more time, Thank you fot info taht order of steps matter.

Jan
Learn More...
7836 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   3:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This tool (with video instructions) helps you learn the step-by-step method.
http://stampsmarter.com/features/SQ...rank_ID.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don is this possibly another case where the OP is using a template made from a flat plate booklet stamp? Being shorter than a normal 599, it could mislead him into thinking the other stamp, being taller than his template, must be a rotary. Which is obviously not the case.
Learn More...
7836 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   5:21 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Agreed. I also think that template in the first image is dubious; it does not look like a actual stamp but rather something that was printed out. Using an image (which may or may be accurate) and then printing it out (which may or may not be accurate) is stacking potential introduction of errors. The object of using a stamp template (as opposed to using calipers) is to remove as many as variables as possible.
Don
Valued Member
Czech Republic
9 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JNA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hallo, I checked all stamps as told me how to do it.
But about this I thing is Ia type.
Per is 11 X 11 and flat plate print.
Please could anybody confitm ?
I tried the best picture as possible due size restr..
regards Jan

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 01/31/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Type I Scott 499. The toga button has no visible border. The top line of the toga rope is weak or nonexistent. Also, the color is too bright to be anything other than type I.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05