Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Re-posting With New Username - Question About Russell Local Stamp On Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CHCO to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again everyone.

I had previously tried to post under the name "S.H." on here, but was having problems with the dots in my username when I tried to upload pictures to the system. So, I am using a new username and have not had any issues thus far.

I am re-posting this with the same inquiry as before, which is as follows:

I have an item I am looking for some more information on.

I am including images of the item in and out of it's plastic sleeve.

The outer sleeve indicates number 130L4, which is in reference to the local stamp listing in the Scott catalog for this piece. I am no expert in stamps by any means. Through a little research I have found this piece to be particularly rare and not known to exist on a cover. That leads to me to believe this may be some type of counterfeit.

Any information or discussion on this piece or related items is encouraged and greatly appreciated. Anything in regards to this being genuine, a reproduction, counterfeit, etc. is very much appreciated.

Along with this, I have another cover addressed to the same individual, but with 52L2 on the cover. If anyone would like, I can also include pictures of it for comparisons of envelopes/condition/etc.

This is my first time posting to the Stamp Community forum. I have many other items that I may post in the future, but I would like to start with this one for now.

Now, to the pictures.....

Thank You.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   04:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2469 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp is one of the forgeries illustrated and described in Larry Lyons' "The Identifier for Carriers, Locals, Fakes, Forgeries and Bogus Posts of the United States". Note specifically, the lack of arcs above "Russell" and the lack of two dots under VE of "ave".

Additionally the address appears to be written with a ball-point ink pen not yet invented, onto an envelope of fairly modern manufacture.
2 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CHCO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@John Becker
@rod222

Thank You for your information on this. As for the other cover I had addressed to the same individual, but with 52L2 on the cover, could you (or anyone else) provide any information on it? Based on the information you provided for the 130L4 piece, I have a feeling this is also a forgery.

Here are some pictures of the 52L2 piece:

Thank You.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28467 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no authority on these,
if the image here is at all, accurate, the hyphen between office and maddison would suggest a forgery also.

Edited by rod222 - 01/24/2020 6:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2469 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Cornwell is also one of the forgeries. Note the relative position of the NW of Cornwell to the M of Madison below it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05