Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Know People Don't Like This... But I Have A Question About Stamp Grading

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
16 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dgwhite87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see lots of examples of US stamps being graded. Do people get stamps graded that aren't US?

I collect Japan, and now that I have duplicate copies of many I thought it would be fun to try and find very well centered copies and collect high graded varieties too.

I don't know where I would go to get a japanese stamp graded. Does the PSE grade non US stamps? http://psestamp.com/

I know this is a hot topic here, and I'm not trying to ruin anyone's hobby with my pursuit of grading. I'm in my 30's and come from a Magic the Gathering background and Pokemon background, and both of those games used grading quite a lot. Heck, even in the digital games, like Pokemon GO, each pokemon you catch is graded from 1-100 and people go around catching multiples of the same Pokemon to find a 100 quality version.

Grading has just been something I've grown up with, so, if I can do that with stamps than that excites me.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4705 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   8:20 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've collected coins, comics, and sports cards at various points in my life, and all three are hobbies where grading is prevalent. Not so with stamps. While expertizing is important, numeric grading and to an even lesser extent encapsulation (I believe only PSE does encapusalation) is only really embraced here in the U.S., and on U.S. stamps almost exclusively.

In all candor, I would not spend the money getting non-U.S. stamps numerically graded. There isn't a market for that material (or at least not enough of a market to justify the expense).

Expertizing is a different matter, and I would never argue against it, but numerical grading?... nah.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector thank you for the input!

I'll save my money on the grading then for Japanese stamps and stick to just getting certificates for ones that I think are in good quality and also not forgeries.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4639 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   01:52 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that the vast majority of stamps, even more expensive ones, don't require certification - expertising is only necessary where there's potential contention (prevalence of forgeries, shades, artificial changes to the stamp etc).
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if PSE grades Japanese stamps, but they do grade Canadian stamps and possibly Chinese stamps. If you are truly interested in a grade for personal reasons, I would check with them. Perhaps a grade on a stamp that could use authentication. I do not think that having inexpensive stamps graded will result in a positive financial outcome.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
868 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe there are speculators/investors in stamps presently buying super well centered international classics with the hope they will one day grade very high. If they buy these stamps 2-3x catalog but then sell 10 years from now at 10-100x catalog.... I think Canadian stamps are slowLy following the trend as I think I have noticed more graded over last year or two and they seem to sell at premium if graded very high

Presently there is no market, but 5,10, 15 years from now. Who knows? If you think you have a good eye for centering, it may not be unreasonable to speculate and buy super centered international stamps, have them graded, and wait. No one thought Amazon would be a trillion dollar company when Bezos was selling stuff out of garage
Valued Member
Canada
460 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re Canadian stamps, I haven't noticed Canadian sellers/auction hours paying any attention to PSE grading, just some US sellers. So it may be a trend, but as yet limited to the US marketplace.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4026 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the PSE website:

PSE Grades USA including Revenues, Confederate States and Hawaii. Also UN, Canada, Australia, France, Great Britain and Commonwealth (Edward on), China (and PRC, with some exceptions: pre-1972 and ROC), India (not states), Israel, Thailand.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2113 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   01:15 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll bet there has abeen a mad rush to get UN stamps graded.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3880 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
UN graded stamps seem to be scarce if not downright rare.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 01/26/2020 06:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4026 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been waiting patiently for Lundy to be added to the PSE list.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mentioning graded UN is always good for a laugh in philatelic circles.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4705 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   08:51 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mentioning graded UN is always good for a laugh in philatelic circles.

Fixed that for ya.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually there is still a market for the Geneva and Vienna UN material. Nothing amazing, but the occasional collections do seem to sell.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dgwhite87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys have all been super helpful, thanks again for the plethora of replies!
Valued Member
Learn More...
203 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector, I laughed my rear end off at that!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05