Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Queen Paper - What Is Pebbly?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
94 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lars714 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While learning about the various paper groups in the SQ era, I note many times that the term pebbly is used. What does this actually mean? Is it the surface of the face side, to the touch or when the paper is viewed in front of a light (the weave of the paper)? Thanks - Chris
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
6847 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris..Hope this helps...
Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6707 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try this link for an answer: https://www.dickblick.com/products/...bble-papers/

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/25/2020 10:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link Petert4522. There is probably quite a difference in the papers DickBlick is selling and the pebbly papers used 150 years ago. If possible could someone post a scan or photo of this paper?
Learn More...
7847 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soak the stamp, press dry between quilted paper towels...bingo... pebbly paper.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Robert. I had seen this and Shoemaker's data before, but still unable to be sure what the pebbly means. I think it pertains to the appearance of thin and thick portions of the wove paper giving a pebbly appearance with back lighting. Probably wrong though...
Valued Member
352 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That papers table should be attributed, not just scanned and reproduced.
Valued Member
352 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pebbly refers to the stamp having a bumpy surface, looking somewhat unfinished, and showing the imparted mesh pattern of the papermaking roll. It is best seen with side lighting. If rein or Galeoptix is lurking, they will have a better description than I.
Edited by archerg - 01/25/2020 11:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
569 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a collection of SQ that was purchased intact (and had been originally labelled) using the Shoemaker crtieria.

It has an example labelled as "pebbly paper" as per the chart that Wert provided.

For clarification, it does indeed have a "pebbly/bumpy" feel/surface on the face side (smoother on the back).

It is unlike any other paper feel for the SQ.

Whether how it was dried had anything to do with it, I feel that it should be "pebbly" the back as well if that were the case. Also, they did not have modern paper towels back then (when this collection was put together) and would likely have used newspapers to dry them.
Edited by 3Dadeo - 01/26/2020 10:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4188 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an excerpt from a BNAPS Newsletter:

1875 of fine quality white wove with pebbly surface, rather stout structure which portrays a ribbed variety, often very similar to laid paper_ These papers of 1875 came from both Montrear and Ottawa

The full newsletter PDF:

http://www.bnaps.org/hhl/newsletter...-v003n01.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
3170 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused as to why the charts show SQ Kiusalas 64 (12.3 for 12.25) but not Kiusalas 65 (12.11) at all.

Are the following dates correct for the following perforations?
Kiusalas 68 (11.58) 1873-1882
Kiusalas 67 (11.75) 1858-1882
Kiusalas 66 (11.93) 1862-1967
Kiusalas 65 (12.11) 1863-1897
Kiusalas 64 (12.30) 1883-1895
Kiusalas 63 (12.50) 1870
Edited by jogil - 01/26/2020 5:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It has an example labelled as "pebbly paper" as per the chart that Wert provided.
For clarification, it does indeed have a "pebbly/bumpy" feel/surface on the face side (smoother on the back).

Could you please show your example, with what ever lighting technique works?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
569 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll do my best. I'll do a scan and try a sidelight photo as well.

Give me a few days though.
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all for the replies.

I think the pebbly appearance may be generated by the wire mesh that a stamp sits on during the paper making process (Alex E Hutton - BNAPS Vol 57 No 1)

http://bnaps.org/hhl/Topics/BNA%20T...o.%20482.pdf

Chris
Learn More...
7847 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dandy rollers

In my opinion paper is (and was) a commodity with a lot of variance from one manufactured lot to another. The component ingredients of the paper slurry used to make the paper changed depending upon availability, seasons, the guy who mixed it, etc.

And 'reverse engineering' paper types after 100+ years on a stamp with completely unknown provenance can be an incredible challenge.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great photos, Don! Thank you - clearly shows the wire mesh that would lead to the pebbled appearance. Appreciate it -

Chris
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05