Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thailand 2 Atts Overprints -Need Conformations

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 761Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
4834 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add floortrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone or more than one person I.D. each of these 8 overprint stamps to the Scott catalog numbers ,want to check my work .
Send note to Staff
Edited by floortrader - 01/25/2020 3:26 pm

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi floortrader;

I got the Following: All the 2's look flat bottomed too me.3 narrow A's.
So I came up with this ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I know is that I suck with these overprints. After studying all the information I could find, I was so confident that I have a mint copy of Scott #64 that I sent it for a cert. Well, now I have a certified copy of #49

If anybody building a reference library of these, here is an image of certified #49.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4834 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would of though it was a 64 ,if you go by the picture in the Scott catalog . The "10" in the overprint looks like the larger #64 not the small 10 of the #49 . Guess you need a specialized Thailand catalog and know the size of the various overprints .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I have a few of these and boy are they difficult. The overall length, spacing between the "2" and the "A", shape and size of the "2", width of the "A" all come into play. That said here are my attempts: 68, 53, 68, 60, heavily inked 53, 53 or 60??, 48, 69.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used this information

http://www.japhila.cz/hof/0181/index0181a.htm

in my attempts to catalog those.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just scanned and uploaded the the 1892 to 1899 surcharges section from my book, "The Postage Stamps of Siam to 1940", that was published in 1980 as a pdf file here:
https://www.rfrajola.com/2k20/Siamto1940.pdf

It may be of use. The last two pages have my 1980 prices but also the then current Scott catalog numbers. I have no idea what Scott numbers are now. The information is from the Walter Pears collection that I purchased as part of the Fred Gloeckner collection in 1979. The traced illustrations of the surcharges are from Pears album pages as done before about 1925.
Edited by Richard Frajola - 01/27/2020 5:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Floortrader, Looks like we are getting more tools to aid in identification, but perhaps no more attempts to identify your stamps. For those of us that gave it a try, let us know what you thought they were. We can then discuss the stamps where opinions differ

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4834 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wildwood -big difference ,I will look at them again . But I came up with
48 48 41 60
53 60 48 41 which are two different than perf 12 .

I will use Richard F. posting as a better guide line when look at them again .

My thing is spend time to get it right without becoming a specialize in any one area . I spend 6 months and lots of dollars to get the Brazilian watermarks done ,than spend almost a year on the 6 different Tibet forgeries of the first issue . Now plan to spend the spring on the Swiss Cantonal issues but that is going to cost a lot of money to have a decent showing .Looking to achieve that decent worldwide collection with all the items written up and detailed to what is what with watermarks ,perforations and color shades .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I am in NYC today with the grandkids. I will go over my notes when I get home and let you know my thoughts. I am certainly not at the level of either you or perf12, but off the top of my head I thought the last stamp was a 69 based on the width of the overprint, the spacing of the letters in Atts, and the shape of the "2"
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So as I mentioned in my first post, I use the overall width of the overprint as one element when attempting an identification. The overprint on the first stamp is significantly longer than on the second. My measurement gives me approx. 15mm which is much too long for Scott 48 (which Frajola seems to indicate should be either 10mm or 11.75mm). The wide spacing of the Roman letters in the "Atts" points to a Scott 68 for me.
The width of stamp 2 indicates either Scott 48 if the letters are Roman or Scott 53 if they are antque, I cannot tell.
The 3rd stamp looks to be a Scott 68 for the same reasons stated for stamp 1.
We agree on stamps 4 and 5.
The Roman letters on stamp 6 points to Scott 60
We agree on stamp 7
The differences between Scott 41 and 69 seem slight and I am basing my identification of the stamp as Scott 69 based on the width of the overprint
Edited by Willwood42 - 01/29/2020 3:46 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 02/03/2020   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of more for those that are interested. Sorry for the photo rather than a scan, but I did not want to remove them from my album.
I do not believe either of these are in floortraders set.

ps. I am still interested in knowing if the width of the overprint is significant in identifying these stamps
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 02/03/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Willwood42: It looks like you have Scott 44(k) (Looks like a curved foot ?,the cancel is confusing identification) & Scott 46(m)(very small '2').
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
316 Posts
Posted 02/03/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks perf12. The stamp on the right is almost definitely a 46, but the shallow curves on the bottom of the "t"'a gave me a little pause. The stamp on the left is either a 44 or 45. The shape of the back half of the bottom of the "2" might suggest a 45, but the cat value of the two stamps points to a 44 :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 761Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05