Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Two Nova Scotia Stamps... Are The Legit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hab to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Were these ever forged and if so, is it easy or difficult to tell? One is a #9 and the other a #12. They appear in decent condition although previously hinged. Book value is not high but I like them a lot and am hoping the are real for my book.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
809 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definetly looks like an attempt to clean up and reperf may have been done.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by No1philatelist - 01/25/2020 10:29 pm
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definetly looks like an attempt to clean up and reperf may have been done.

Okay, learning moment for me... What specifically indicates this? I am assuming such a thing would have been done to deceive a purchaser for monetary gain, but it appears to not be a very valuable stamp even in proper condition so that would seem silly. I guess though, wherever a dollar can be made someone will try.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
754 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   05:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab

Some of the perf tips on your two cent example appear to be scissor cut. My example for comparison:

Learn More...
7695 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   05:27 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hab,
Here is your stamp's top perfs digitally aligned next to the bottom perfs.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
6753 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab
I know perfs are important to you here, but another thought is this stamp a forgery..??

Robert

Here is one of mine compared to your Scott 12

Now I did a perf count on your Scott 12 and my authentic Scott 12.
My stamp has 13 perfs across the bottom...Yours has 12...
This could mean reperfed stamp or a forgery.

Scott 12's are not usually known for wide borders, which could be reperfed...Look at the bottom of your stamp...If it was nicely reperfed, which would mean it had a very LARGE border...I am leaning towards a forgery..Just my opinion.
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all that info! Is there a more surefire way for me to confirm forgery? Looking for a watermark or something? Sounds weird but I am almost excited I found my first forgery haha!
Pillar Of The Community
6753 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab..Try this link

Robert

https://stampforgeries.com/forged-s...en-victoria/

Could be a Spiro forgery or a Senf forgery
Edited by wert - 01/26/2020 11:49 am
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wert! I have saved that website to my favourites. Appreciate the guidance!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
754 Posts
Posted 01/26/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hab

The forgeries are often crude and easily detected. Better forgeries are more of a challenge. The website wert provided is a great reference.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05