Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mexico 1899-1903 Definitives Printed In The Uk In Recess By Bradbury Wilkinson

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Galeoptix to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A fine set of definitives was engraved and printed in the UK by Bradbury Wilkinson, New Malden. A few values had to be re-issued in different colours - due to a postal rate change? - in 1903. One might expect BW to use the same printing plates again OR having new plates made from the same original engraved dies. However, when you really pay good attention, you will see that BW had made NEW engravings for some values. Not for all [10c?] as a minute detail keeps popping up in the new colour as well!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Romania
87 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
At the bottom of the 2Dos green stamp I do not see the network of lines characteristic of the engraving.
Can it be lithographic printing?
Excuse me if you find this an idiotic question, I'm a beginner collector.
Pillar Of The Community
2469 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have absolutely no idea what any the above images are supposed to represent without any labels as to Scott numbers, old/new engravings, etc. What do the enlargements mean? What do the circled dots mean?
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cupram,

No, both are in recess, the fragments show characteristics that are different between the two colours [1899 vs 1903]; the encircled dots of the 10cts stamps are dots that do NOT belong to the engraving but are present in EACH stamp both of the 1899 and the 1903 printings. This might point to a common plate for both!
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

at the top I explained what this is all about: a change of colour that should NOT have urged to new plates/dies! Yet, they are different for the 1,2 and 5c,probably for the 10c as well, although I may hsve my doubts!

I never use catalogue numbers as it suffices to have mentioned the year of issue! And the pictures are usually better that what you can see in any catalogue ;)
Pillar Of The Community
2469 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galeoptix, Then we will have to agree to disagree. I hope your post has value to others.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
939 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

Those who collect Mexico might wonder why this wasn't told them before!

Rein
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05