Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A British Sg #21?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampfiddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd appreciate your help in identifying this stamp. My primary collection area is Canadian stamps and I don't have access to a catalogue of British stamps. The cover itself is an old family heirloom addressed to my great great grandmother.

I have done some online searching and I think the stamp may be the Stanley Gibbons #21, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm the stamp's ID for me? Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1313 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it's SG40
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28420 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Smashing cover!
Lovely Huntley (Scotland) Postmark (New discovery for the database)
Only other strike recorded is 1918
Cover in great condition with embossed envelope, Honeycomb and Garter.

The Keith Backstamp also a new discovery for the Pmk database.
A beaut article all round.
Valued Member
Canada
21 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you. I'll assume it's a SG40 until evidence to the contrary emerges. Given the postmark, I would assume it's unlikely to be one of the earlier catalogue numbers.

Quote:
Cover in great condition with embossed envelope, Honeycomb and Garter.

Actually, in person, the envelope is a bit worse for wear having been passed down through the family for 160 odd years.

Quote:
Lovely Huntley (Scotland) Postmark (New discovery for the database)
Only other strike recorded is 1918

Quote:
The Keith Backstamp also a new discovery for the Pmk database.

This is very interesting. If I was dealing with a Canadian cover, I would know exactly where to turn for reporting and/or further inquiry. Is there a site you can point me to to report this (assuming you think it's worthy of reporting)? I'm unfamiliar with British postal history groups.

Thanks again.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28420 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fiddler,
you would be doing Philately in general, a great service if you report these two Postmarks to Alan here.......
(you can have the additions accredited to you, if that is your want)
http://philatelicweb.com/pmks/

Email addy at bottom.
I have sent several new discoveries that have not been updated,
yet a lass here, sent hers by request, and it arrived next day on the Db.
Good luck with yours.

Please keep your cover in a Polypropylene envelope for good husbandry, saves it from dust and dirt.
It must be of great pleasure to have something from your Grandmother !

Edited by rod222 - 01/27/2020 3:45 pm
Valued Member
Canada
21 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod - I will contact Alan.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28420 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I am not aufait with anything Scot, I could not pin down "Boham"
But it does look like it is part of Elgin, a rugged North East Coast location.

If so, you may have a distant relationship with MacBeth
Pillar Of The Community
France
983 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
21 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - the beautiful handwriting on old covers is sometimes hard to read. It is properly 'Boharm' and I believe that 'Cotterton' was the name of the farm they lived at. It's where my great grandfather was born. Also about two stones throw from multiple whisky distilleries in the strath of the Spey River. It's on my list of places to visit.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1685 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Bobby De La Rue said...it is a SG 40 (certainly that grouping) and probably plate 36
As a former resident of Huntly I collect Banffshire and Aberdeenshire items. I can say that the six bar "178" duplex postmark is quite common as is the backstamp of Keith.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28420 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, thanks all. "Boharm" ...great.
May be common Pmks, but please send to Alan,
we need the image database the best we can !

Valued Member
Canada
21 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's assistance.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28420 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is Peter Alexander your ancestor? Please don't go away!

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Auchinachie-7
Valued Member
Canada
21 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah - my great grandfather.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05