Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Third Reich Material And Ebay- Again

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1852 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   10:51 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This stuff seems to go in cycles; it shouldn't be surprising given the news lately, but censorship seems to be making a return on this material. One example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMANY-3r...AOSw2XFUivKL

Most of this seems to be coming from European listings. I am not opposed to some of this but sometimes it just seems ridiculous.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4622 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are certain restrictions in German law by which sellers may be constrained, or feel they are constrained.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
665 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found out yesterday that Google blocks anything in their feeds from the Confederacy, in my case currency
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2129 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't required by eBay. It's individual sellers attempting to avoid any problems with German buyers and 86 / 86a StGB. It's not really as problem, as evidenced by the fact than none of the philatelic auctionhouses in Germany do this, but I assume they're just playing it safe.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
574 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once posted an item on eBay and covered NS symbols.

It was taken of by eBay.

Their reason? Because I covered it up, I knew it was wrong and therefore it was removed and I was barred for 30 days.

My reply that at the same time Thousands of offers which were showing swastikas etc were on offer, was not even answered by eBay.

eBay has rules, let us hope that one day they understand them themselves.
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 01/28/2020 5:11 pm
Valued Member
Canada
37 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add helder to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that doesnt make any sense this sort of censorship that some people apply to themselves.
It is like have a history book where swastikas are covered by a black square.

By the way, even in Brazilian webpages to buy/sell stuff, like eBay, I see some people cover stamps where are swastikas stamped.
Valued Member
Austria
149 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Selling and showing stamps should be no problem in Germany, as long they've been officially used. Concerning auctions with private issues and cinderellas that pay tribute to the Nazis, I'm not sure.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
805 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   05:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I once posted an item on eBay and covered NS symbols.

It was taken of by eBay.

Their reason? Because I covered it up, I knew it was wrong and therefore it was removed and I was barred for 30 days.

That's crazy! I see postcards like that on eBay every single day.
Valued Member
Learn More...
203 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure the swastika was a Buddhist symbol originally...

Can understand why some people would act PC with this sort of listing, but it is one thing selling a historical item (even if history isn't always pleasant) versus promoting Nazi ideology (or lunacy; but I'll digress.)
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe someone can explain what the issue is as I do not understand it. The yellow sticky is only covering up some text. The only swastikas on the sheet is the watermark so if you wanted to cover that up the entire sheet would have to be covered.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1226 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The swastika was originally a Hindu symbol of good fortune (the word is Sanskrit in origin). One can find pre-1930 non-German postal history items featuring this symbol.
Edited by dudley - 01/30/2020 09:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4465 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone explain it ----SURE I CAN ----- Back in the early 1990's ,I had a table at a few local stamp bourses . We got a printed notice from the Bourse Chairman ,that to be aware some of the people coming to our show were only interested in THIRD Reich material were not stamp collectors but people who were supplying SKINHEADS/NAZIS who were in prison and using those stamps on letters .They were mailing out envelopes with stamps purchased at stamp shows to people who had Jewish names .We stopped selling Hitler Head stamps to all unless we knew them from previous business dealings . I believe the notice came thru information supplied by the F.BI. or Bureau of Prisons or Postal Authorities.

The notice had this on it "use your head and understand the problem it can create,when selling Third Reich material "
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05