Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Contemporary Conflict Zone Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Israel
480 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know if ISIS or the Hutis issued their own stamps?
I don't give a missing perforation whether UPU accepts them or not.
I'm interested to know if the postal service kept working in their areas, and whether they used local stamps or printed their own.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7710 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be a bit fearful of doing an online 'ISIS stamp' search...yikes...black SUVs pulling up outside my house now!
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Israel
480 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And that was last heard from Don... I wonder what stamps they use in Guantanamo.

I know that the rebels in south Morocco, the "Polisario" or something, issued stamps for collectors to raise money, but I don't think ISIS or the Hutis went that way.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4029 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gitmo utilizes the USPS through APO's and FPO's.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4029 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ISIS in 2014 announced their new currency and postal service which alas failed due to rampant mismanagement (tongue in cheek). Was anything actually mailed? Perhaps. If it was it will no doubt turn up at some point.
Learn More...
7710 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   5:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And that was last heard from Don...

Valued Member
Israel
480 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And on Don's desk, a note was found:
"My name is Donymandias, King of Stamps;
Look on my collection, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Valued Member
Israel
480 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading online I see that Iraqi Kurdistan has issued its own local stamps for a while. Is there any documentation online of those stamps?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28428 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only image I have,
Kurdistan Local 1912
Not my image.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4029 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Kurdish/Iraqi postal problem:

https://www.rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/270220184

A side story: I was in Iraq from 2005 to 2009 and at one point we were asked to develop a plan to build the Al-Mamoon Central Post Office & Telecommunications Center in Baghdad. It was a State Department whimsy, like many such plans, that never came to fruition. The design was beautiful but the glass curtain walls that were requested were somewhat problematic given the propensity for unannounced explosions. There was also the small detail that there was not then, and not much now to my knowledge, any telephone infrastructure that the telecommunications portion could service. State also wanted elevators and escalators in the complex which was akin to asking for a parrot that poops out gold bars on command. It was a silly project asked for by silly people willing to spend silly money in a deadly serious place. I love Iraq and the Iraqi people. Many are still my friends and some are in the States now. We just should never engage in Nation building. Including Post Offices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2113 Posts
Posted 01/28/2020   11:12 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nation building isn't automatically the problem - it is trying to do it without taking into account the wants and needs of the locals and withhout taking into account the realities of the local situation.
Valued Member
Israel
480 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, do you know if that stamp is included in any catalog? And what was 1912 Kurdistan's status? A recognized entity?
I understand that Iraq refused Kurdish mail to be sent abroad, and asked the UPU not to accept them. On the other hand, there are other debatable regions that made it to the catalogs, like Turkish Cyprus that only Turkey recognized.
Valued Member
Cyprus
106 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The issue with the 'TRNC' (Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus)has had me duped for many years considering that it is not recognised as a state by the UN and its stamps are not recognised by the UPU. I queried Stanley Gibbons about this at a recent Stampex exhibition in London. Their reply was less than satisfactory and perhaps, the people manning the stand, weren't the people to ask either as it was evident that they were clueless on the matter. It is interesting to note though that international mail addressed to the 'TRNC' includes 'Mersin 19, TURKEY' which gets through the loophole of sending in mail to an unrecognised country as effectively mail is being delivered to Turkey. Also, my understanding is that international mail from the 'TRNC' flies out from Turkey but again, this does not explain why their stamps have catalogue status.
The TRNC declared UDI in 1982, Rhodesia in 1965, both countries are catalogued despite not being recognised by the UN while both are considered 'commonwealth countries'.....I'm not sure if that is somehow linked but in any event one cannot deny that these states existed/exist and their postage stamps have been widely used and are an integral part of their respective country's postal history
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05