Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Franklin 1c #300B Booklet With 2 Intact Panes, Washington 5c #1229 Booklet, Washington 2c #319, Mint

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Germany
126 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all Stamp Masters,

my father recently came across these stamps, one of which is what looks like a complete Mint Booklet of 1907 #300 1c Franklin stamps.
The other is a #319 Washington 2c and looks like it is also from a booklet and the last one is a complete mint booklet of the 5c Washington #1229 stamps.

Can you tell me what the value of these would be?
Sorry for the image quality, my father took it with a cellphone camera.

Send note to Staff
Edited by LordInVader - 01/29/2020 08:54 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5788 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does the booklet of the 300 contain 4 panes? or just 1?

My 2017 Scott specialized shows values as;

BC2A complete booklet Scott 300 - &6,000.00
Single pane 300 - $600

Single pane Scott 319 - $125.00

BC13A complete booklet (Slogan 3) - $15.00
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by stallzer - 01/29/2020 07:25 am
Valued Member
Germany
126 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Booklet of the 300b contains 2 panes.
Is the value higher when they are in the booklet as opposed to being 2 separate panes?
Valued Member
Germany
126 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So my dad sent me more pictures of the Franklin Booklet.
First one question:
Are Franklin booklets very rare? I could not find a booklet anywhere at all, only single panes....

Valued Member
Germany
37 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamphunter1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are Franklin booklets very rare?

What's for you rare? Scarce and Rare are on totally different scales. Scoot 300b unused booklet pane are scarce stamps but not rare. Worth good money a few hundred Dollars.
Edited by stamphunter1 - 01/29/2020 2:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You would find complete booklets in the booklet section of the Scott U.S. Specialized Catalogue. Your booklet likely would have been BK10 with cover BC2A (25-cents). Originally, it would have contained 4 panes of 6 1-cent stamps so it is not likely a complete booklet. It is the complete BK10 booklet that has CV $6000. I do not know what a booklet with 2 remaining panes would be worth.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4036 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A mnh booklet pane of 300b just sold today in Spink Sale 173, Lot 65 for $425 plus a BP of $85 for a total of $510. The pane had a light fold along the center perforations.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1185 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is pretty safe to forget the booklet price or even coming anywhere near it. The front cover is torn and separated from the rest of the booklet, as shown in the picture.

I'd recommend valuing the two panes individually.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5788 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A mnh booklet pane of 300b just sold today in Spink Sale 173, Lot 65 for $425 plus a BP of $85 for a total of $510

Assuming the CV didn't increase too much since 2017 that's a very good return.
Valued Member
Germany
126 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What would you say of the condition of the panes themselves regarding centering, etc.?
Would it be worth it to get the panes certified?

Thank you for all the information thus far provided!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4036 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO the 300b panes are extremely fine especially when compared to the recent Spink sale. I am not sure that a cert would add much value in this case.
Learn More...
7724 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   08:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that removing the panes increases the value of getting certs. But if you leave the damaged booklet together, in conjunction with the provenance, then the need for a cert declines.
Don
Valued Member
Germany
126 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As for Provenance, You may not believe it, but my dad got this at an auction where this was in a lot of stamps, covers, and stamp albums, where the seller DID NOT AT ALL either describe, mention or provide a picture for this booklet!
The vast majority of the stamps, Albums, and covers are either WW2 period or newer....
I think he did not know at all what he was selling!

My dad got the entire lot for $70.

Do you think it would be worth it sending this to a professional auction or would eBay suffice?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5788 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All depends on how much you're willing to settle for. Auction houses bring the serious buyers to the table.

*Edit*

I also just noticed that it looks like the top pair of the 300b booklet is separated?
Edited by stallzer - 01/30/2020 08:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4036 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not seperated. It is a guide line.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5788 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, looked like separation at first glance. So that would put this one as positions 11 - 20? Funny that Scott doesn't list a premium for a guide line. Since there are half the amount with the guide line I'd think it would fetch some type of premium?

Edited by stallzer - 01/30/2020 09:05 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05