Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay And Cuban Philatelic Items

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a small group of US 1899 postal stationery overprinted for use from Cuba by US personnel.
Cuba at that time was under US administration as a result of the Spanish-American War.
Because of Fidel Castro starting in the 1950's the US Government banned all items made in Cuba.
US 1899 postal stationery overprinted for use from Cuba does NOT fit in that category for two reasons:
-- they were not made in Cuba
-- they are not in the Fidel Castro time period.

But eBay took the easy way out.
eBay did not know how to program their violation detection software for just the Castro window of time so they did a blanket ban of ALL items that even mentioned Cuba.

I addressed the situation at one of eBay's online chats with an eBay representative.
I have to admit the person DID understand and had to do some checking but the bottom line ended up as, "Don't list items with the name Cuba in the title."
As nearly as I can tell there will be no reasoning with them and, ergo, no change in policy.

Is there any website that will allow US Postal Stationery for the administration of Cuba to be listed and sold?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6710 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay. Just do not use the word Cuba.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1361 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The APS StampStore at www.stamps.org.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1361 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the 'Bay, the standard workaround is to use "Spanish Antilles Postal Stationery" in the title. There are many current listings. Collectors looking for Cuban material know to use "Spanish Antilles" in their searches.
Learn More...
7850 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But eBay took the easy way out.

I think that eBay took the most cost feasible way out, they are not interested in spending money in enforcing the laws and regulations in every country across the earth that they have servers in. So they implemented simple filtering algorithms which flag listing with key words for each country and their associated rack of servers.

This gives eBay 'due diligence' justification to the authorities that they are complying with the local laws while keeping their costs low. Keeping costs low helps them keep listing fees low. If they had to hire humans to monitor the 3.5 million new listings each day, all of whom would have to be proficient in local laws, no one would be able to afford to list items.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4695 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I work around the Kennedy extraterritorial embargo by listing as "Spanish Colonies" for earlier material and "Central America" for later pre- and post-liberation material. Seems to find buyers.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just put a number in front of Cuba i.e. 1Cuba, 2Cuba, 3Cuba ... 9Cuba.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
667 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may also run into problems with Paypal as they are Anerican and honor the same embargoes eBay does.

Some people have received warnings from Paypal for having embargoed items paid through them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4194 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One could try using COOBA or ABUC.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
667 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
or CUBS
Learn More...
7850 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

eBay algorithms do not run OCR on the listing images. So when you generate images for the listing, add the word Cuba in plain bold lettering to the primary image above the stamp(s). Then use one of the methods mentioned above for the title and description.

Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
112 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been working on my Cuban collection as of late and the "Spanish Antilles" or "1cub, 2cub..." listings are the way to go. Do a search and see how others have done it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
837 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Quba" is another workaround that I often see on eBay.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2694 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also use Çuba, Cubá, or Cúba. I also use this approach when trying to list anything related to Ïran.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
946 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hipstamp doesn't seem concerned with this issue...
https://www.hipstamp.com/search?key...&parent_id=0
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05