Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Problem #163 - Value Of Searchable Databases

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started a previous discussion about the value of a searchable database for old certificates. I thought it would be useful to illustrate my point with another example. The #163 below has three certificates linked in the PF database. Searching through the PF database I found a fourth certificate depicting a stamp whose perforations matched exactly on three sides. This certificate not only stated that the right side was reperforated, it also undisputedly demonstrated that the stamp was subsequently additionally reperforated on the bottom!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4003 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That can make many a collector queasy to say the least.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I am new to this hobby but I kinda like the result.

I did a little photoshopping. The reperfing at the right does not look obvious to me but on the image I am attaching you can see why they say its reperfed right. The perfs don't match very well. The bottom looks like a fairly good job, at least to my eyes of limited experience. But the before image is very persuasive!
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Stamp Auction Network is another great site to search for old images of stamps you might question. Stamps with one wide margin can be easily reperforated and the stamp becomes an XF-S 95 instead of a VF-XF 85. Here is a stamp that sold ungraded at a HR Harmer auction (note bottom margin). Fortunately the PF caught this one, although they called it reperfed on top and not the bottom. Maybe it's been reperfed top and bottom!

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28379 Posts
Posted 01/29/2020   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From "Anatomy of a fraud" Circa 2007

Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting examples showing the need for buyer beware.
Reperfration of stamps to increase value has been going on
for years even before the recent premium for investible "90,
95 and 98" stamps. Hiding or mis-representation of Certs.
is more common than many of us know so research before
Auction purchase is mandatory in my estimation.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent research. More to the problem, what does it say about modern technological advancements if a 30 plus year old certificate is surpassed by one that not only cannot recognize a major reperf job but also grades that fault a 90!?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4003 Posts
Posted 01/30/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The technology is not used on every submission may be one reason. Or not.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05