Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Small Queen - Paper Classifications

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
112 Posts
Posted 02/01/2020   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lars714 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am currently researching paper groupings (classes?) for the SQs. As I work through my collection I note that even though all online articles on sorting SQs discuss paper, I have yet to find that there is a classification standard (does anyone know if VGF uses a paper classification standard?)

Below is what I have been able to find, only to realize that in the letter classifications, there is no commonality.

Since it seems Mr Hillson and Mr Nixon's book is the de-facto reference on SQs, I wonder if I should classify based on his list? Does anyone else here differentiate their collections to this level?

Finally, I found an excellent article on paper making processes for the SQ era in BNAPS in which author infers that it would be very difficult to discuss printing classes due to paper mixing/overlap/unused stock (etc).

So, short of finding a SQ on LAID paper (hah), perhaps I should avoid this level of scrutiny (as interesting as it is!!)...

To quote others on this forum when discussing SQs...

Chris

A - Shoemaker: Laid, fine quality
A - Hillson: 1st Ottawa: A high quality medium thickness wove showing a clear grain on the back and smooth to the touch
A - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A fine quality, toned, smooth surface paper, opaque with a horizontal weave mesh.

B - Shoemaker: thin, almost pelure smooth
B - Hillson: 1st Ottawa: Thick soft white paper, sometimes erroneously described as blotting paper, wrong because this paper has a very fine horizontal grain,. It was so soft that perforation pins were inclined to tear rather than punch the holes, so they look 'hairy' and there is often a lot of 'confetti' still adhering to the holes. To be found only on the One and Three Cents...it was in use around the end of 1871 and is scarce.
B - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A hard smooth surface, toned paper with the design showing through the paper. Vertical weave and compares with the paper used for most of the Rose shades of the 3c.

C - Shoemaker: medium, white, wove
C - Hillson: 1st Ottawa: Thin soft very white paper with a vertical grain, used in 1872 for some printings
C - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): The rare opaque, thick soft, almost blotting paper with perforations adhering. Horizontal weave barely visible because of thickness.

D - Shoemaker: thin, yellowish oily surface
D - Hillson: Montreal: Wove paper where the thickness can vary from thin to stout, creamy or yellowish in colour with a grain that is more marked and the backs therefore feel rougher.
D - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A medium weight, pebbly surface paper with horizontal weave a slight white toning to the paper. This is a very good grade of paper, far better than the following horizontal classes

E - Shoemaker: medium, thick hard wove
E - Hillson: Montreal: Pelure paper sometimes called 'onionskin' paper because it is so thin and transparent, very rare on the issue and if one comes across a copy, one is extremely lucky.
E - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): Horizontal weave with a thinner paper, design showing through a pebbly surface, slight white toning

F - Shoemaker: thin, soft ribbed
F - Hillson: Montreal: Similar to Paper (d) but thin and clearly of poorer quality.
F - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63):A medium weight, much poorer quality paper with yellowish toning. In the 3c the analine dye shows through this very plainly. Weave is horizontal.

G - Shoemaker: ribbed, various weights
G - Hillson: 2nd Ottawa: Poor thin quality paper with an indeterminate grain, it resembles rag stock, and stamps often show an embossing effect on the back
G - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A medium weight paper with a vertical mesh with a slight yellow toning. The surface is more pebbled than Type B.

H - Shoemaker: thick, hairy, rough
H - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A medium weight pebbly surface paper with a horizontal weave. The toning is yellowish. Shoemaker lists this as beginning on Oct. 6, 1888

I - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A medium weight vertical weave paper with. a pebbly face and yellowish toning. Not listed in Shoemaker's treatment of the 3c

J - Mitreit (BNAPS Oct 63): A medium weight very poor quality, toned yellowish paper with a horizontal weave. Analine dye shows through this very plainly
Send note to Staff

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05