Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elusive 530c Triple Impression

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 02/03/2020   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Caper123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever seen a 530c Triple Impression? None are listed by Siegel, and the PF database includes only submissions that were turned down as triple impressions ard reclassified as double impressions. I can find only one ever listed on the internet and it was in a Schuyler Rumsey auction back in 2014 advertised as a 'triple' but was actually one of the ones reclassified by the PF and called a 'double'.

My curiosity is piqued.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2561 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
530c is a fairly recent addition to the catalog. It is not in 2003, but is in the 2009 Specialized catalog. No doubt the listing is based on an example being certified in that era and Scott being notified. It may be a stamp now recertified as a double impression as you describe. I would recommend sending a note to Scott asking them to check their files for background info. They should have the cert number that 530c is based on. If there is a match, they may be unaware of the the cert changes and need to delist 530c?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
7871 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   11:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6432 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't certified by the PF. The triple impressions sent to them all turned out to be double impressions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6432 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Need a much better scan then that to have an opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
2561 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the lot description from the initial post, Rumsey sale #58 of Dec 8-11, 2014. Lot 1501. Interesting that it does not mention any cert.

Add: the later PF cert # for this stamp is 525207, as a double impression.
Edited by John Becker - 02/04/2020 12:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6432 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only see two sets of frame lines, which is a big problem. Obviously a triple impression needs three sets of frame lines. The frame lines are the area most likely to appear relatively unaffected by multiple impressions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John, Don and Rev. I have come to the conclusion that it simply does not exist and I will contact the Scott folks. This is somewhat related to a 2/18 post of mine where I was shown mine was not a triple.
Don's PSE cert image from above:

John's image (same stamp PF said is not a triple):

My original image from 2/18 (from a block of 4):

Stamperix's double impression 'created' image using photoshop:

To my eye they all exhibit the same qualities and per the PF (on several occasions) they are all doubles!
Pillar Of The Community
1375 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the lines should be three times there. I made the image to show that the numbers "3" cann fool the viewer, as there always appear to be 3x the numbers, although it's only 2x the image. It will be interesting to hear the source for the Scott listing, looking forward to reading it here then.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1329 Posts
Posted 02/04/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The term "double impression" is misleading. The second "impression" would have remained from improper wiping of residual ink from the blanket on the offset cylinder. If ink remained from multiple prior rotations of the blanket the impression would appear to be blurred like a poorly printed copy of the local paper.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
843 Posts
Posted 02/05/2020   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cfrphoto.

45 years ago senior collectors use to call such stamps ..'Ghosted double impression'. Terms evolve.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! All those photo'd here look like double impressions. It WOULD be interesting to see what Scott says. My 2011 cat says it is worth $1750, in italics.

I must say, though, that the double impression does jar the optic nerve! I wonder if someone argued that one of the impressions is, in fact, a closely spaced double impression. If you hear back from Scott, update us, please!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1329 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   11:57 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no way that the sheet went through the press twice. The offset blanket was not completely cleaned after the previous impression. The impression appears to be doubled because the new ink did not line up exactly with the ink from the previous impressions. Note that the impressions are vertically aligned because the plate and roller can only shift positions relative to each other in the direction of paper motion. Sheets of paper were fed by the press from a stack at the front of the press and land in a stack at the back of the press. I operated a similar press at various times when I worked at the local newspaper.
Edited by cfrphoto - 02/08/2020 12:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
843 Posts
Posted 02/08/2020   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper123,

That Cert' 'may be' correct...in a way. Stamps being a visual hobby and I see THREE 3's left side. I can't convince myself there's only 2. Magnificent stamp either way.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 02/08/2020   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prepared and sent an in-depth email along with pics to Scott last week. No reply yet. I'll share when/if they respond!
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 02/20/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin53545 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just came accross this discussion and would like to share (2) of these double vision stamps which I had labeled 529a. The second one seams to have (3) images of the 3 on the right bottom.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05