Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stockbook Stamp Insertion Mechanics

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,166Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

41 Posts
Posted 02/06/2020   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lilmoose to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a trivial but, to me, aggravating problem. I have a Lighthouse 9 x 12 stamp stockbook with black pages and clear strips to hold stamps. I have one annoying problem that I encounter whenever I insert the first stamp on any empty strip. I find it difficult to insert the stamp without some degree of difficulty. If there is already a stamp in that strip I can slip the new stamp behind the installed stamp and easily slip it behind the plastic. I am currently using the sticky surface of a post-it tape flag to slightly lift the plastic enough to slip the stamp under it. There must be a simple method of doing this that will be painfully obvious when it's pointed out by a more experienced collector.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1146 Posts
Posted 02/06/2020   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My way: Inset tongs; lift strip slightlyly; insert fingertip; insert stamp carefully! Remove finger. Repeat action as required.
Good Luck!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31295 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prinz Long Nosed pointy Tweezers (c$14) will end all those problems.
You can catch Mosquitos by the legs with those things.
Pick up stamps from scanner platens.

If you have the patience to master the long nosed pointies, the you will never look back.

With the Vario pages with sealed ends, the pointies can get in there and winkle stamps out easy as pie.
Never carry them on your person if not in a case.

Edited by rod222 - 02/07/2020 02:25 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
290 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same problem. Sometimes flexing the page slightly helps, otherwise I use a thin stiff bit of card or plastic to lift the edge. It works but it is still awkward. If it was easy the stamps would fall out even faster than they do.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5361 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are fiddly. I also flex the page, and/or raise the strip slightly with a stamp mount.
Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   06:29 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use two tongs. First tong I simply insert behind the strip and leave it as I add stamps. When done, I pull the tong and move it to the next row.
Don
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...38-or-H-1001

Only ten cents each in packs of one hundred (from Uline).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Learn More...
8965 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   6:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of how you can use 'hands-free' tongs to hold the sleeve open while you insert a stamp.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
921 Posts
Posted 02/07/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You also might try a piece of card stock or a file card to lift the strip a little. Leave it there as you insert stamps. Sometimes flexing the page inward to create a tiny space for the first stamp to go into works. The greatest flexibility of the strip should be in the middle, so you might start there.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2947 Posts
Posted 02/08/2020   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice thread. I prefer Vario pockets that are much taller than stamps (for safety and universal use) so using the long pointy tongs (tweezers).
Al
Valued Member
41 Posts
Posted 02/08/2020   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lilmoose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I have a pair of the needle nose tweezers but hadn't tried them for that job. The paddle tip tongs seemed to be too thick to slip under the strip in my book. I'll also try the razor blade. The post-it note does work but I sometimes can't locate one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
635 Posts
Posted 02/08/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the page is slightly convex, it will pin the stamps down. If slightly concave, it will be easier to remove stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
634 Posts
Posted 03/15/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may sound dicey, but I've done it for years with ease and without trouble. A small pen knife with a reasonably sharp blade will slip behind the plastic and lift it enough to insert the stamp. If you're looking to fill a row, however, the hands-free tong idea looks good, but generally I've found that ordinary tongs are too blunt to get behind the plastic easily.
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
Posted 03/15/2020   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
imo pointy or sharp tongs work well when the page is flexed, tong inserted and moved as desired and stamps inserted by use of second pair (or insert gasp here) fingers. I would not use a razor blade or knife as the first miss will ruin a strip or worse.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1829 Posts
Posted 03/15/2020   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like Studebaker's approach to this problem as I too often have moments of fright inserting stamps awkwardly into stock cards of various types, and into Vario pages.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 03/15/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Hal's technique. Many decades of using my tongs has worn the tip to a very fine edge. I usually have no problem getting them under stamps on a flat surface, or behind the plastic strip in a stock book or Vario page.

Robert
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,166Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05