Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Plating A One Cent Blue

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
871 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   05:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No Rogdcam, not cynical... I think you are right on! Internet (this website, search features at SAN, PF search database at out fingertips, Siegel search) is exposing all the problems with for profit certification and grading.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Widglo46
Quote:
To my chagrin, I found one issued in 2009 (see below). The crease that is described was clearly visible even to me, a non-expert, when I dipped the stamp, and I kicked myself for accepting the PSE certificate on face value at the show.

Still it is a very nice stamp. If it is not worth $1100 what is it worth???
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
banknoteguy - Still it is a very nice stamp. If it is not worth $1100 what is it worth??

Great question. Maybe I'm being too critical of the stamp - the PF called it a light horizontal crease, ant the PSE didn't even mention it. All I know is that if I had been presented with both certificates at the time of purchase, and if I had dipped the stamp myself and seen the crease, I probably wouldn't have paid more $200 or so. But I am a collector, and not a dealer. Another collector might not care about the light crease, and would be willing to pay considerably more.

I know of dealers who wander around stamp shows looking for exactly this kind of stamp, i.e. beautiful stamps with small faults. Some may disclose the faults and some may not, but that there is a market for items like this is a certainty. Maybe there is a dealer on the forum that can tell us what they think the wholesale price would be.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I would be very interested in what dealer would pay. My guess, a dealer would say its worth at least $500 but I have not been collecting stamps very long and am definitely not a dealer!

As a collector I think it is very attractive and the fault is minor.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could you post an image of the reverse?
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
banknoteguy - I'm sorry, but I never scanned the back of the stamp, and I've already sent it back to the dealer. I can tell you, however, that the crease was only visible when I dipped it. If you want to contact the dealer, his name is Warren Manning, and his business is "The Classic Philatelist".
Pillar Of The Community
2534 Posts
Posted 02/27/2020   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When swimming in water that deep ... I would have dipped the stamp in fluid at the dealer's table.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05