Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Getting A Book Bound

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
94 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turff49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm contemplating getting the new Greens Local TB Christmas Seals Catalog hard bound. Any clue how I go about doing this? And how much would this set me back. It's 218 pages all in color.
Thanks
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are definitely places that will do this. I would go to Google and enter the words "book binding" and see what your choices are where you live. I found this without any trouble http://www.griffinbookbinding.com/s...pricing.html
Located in St. Petersburg FL. My best guess is that the price will start around $50.00, maybe more.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4048 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an art going the way of framing shops, florists, cobblers.... That is if you want it done with care and pride. Still getting harder and harder to find.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3982 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Back in the 90s, I brought a damaged still-in-print book to a book binder for repair.

He objected that, for the same money, I could buy a new one.

I explained that, for the same money, I'd rather have the one he had repaired.

He muttered under his breath, and took my money.

He was fresh out of the FSU, but I managed to not say "Welcome to life in The West".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
2473 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Contact your local public library or university. They do it regularly.
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Doing a google search seems most do book repair. I'm wanting to do a hardbound print of the new catalog I published. I'll check with a couple of the print shops and see what info they can give me. The Society is printing them with a comb binding but I'm wanting at least one hardbound for myself. It has a full color cover so I'm not sure how they do that for hardbound. Thanks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
169 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many university libraries in the Midatlantic and out to the Midwest use Wert Bookbinding.
See: http://wertbookbinding.com/.
They can either take your existing material and rebind it, or you might get a digital file of the book sent to them and they can print and bind right there. If you can, I would go the latter route. They also can incorporate an existing color printed cover into one of their cover varieties.
There are others out there which offer similar services.

I have no affiliation with or interest in Wert but managed several university libraries which used them. Hardly any will do in any house binding anymore, but if you call them, they will refer you to their contractor(s).

Edited to add Afterthought: I suggest getting this done in the spring, don't delay till summer when these commercial binderies take in large amounts of material from both university libraries and from school districts.

Edited by jleb1979 - 02/12/2020 07:33 am
Learn More...
7727 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   08:25 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have a book binder in this community (bookbndrbob) but he has not yet replied to the thread. You may want to message him.
Don
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I reached out by the email link to bookbndrbob but have not heard back from him yet.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3531 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Turff99. Sorry about the delay in responding to your request for information. I have been dealing with some small health issues recently, but I am getting better.

For some reason, my e-mail regarded your correspondence as junk. This was rather odd, because I had another request from a SCF member several weeks ago which arrived with no problem. I only check/clear out the junk mail periodically.

To find a bookbinder close to you I would suggest contacting the Guild of Book Workers. My wife and I have been involved with the Guild for most of our 36 years the bookbinding business. We retired and closed our business on June 30, 2019.

People who are members of the Guild practice and study bookbinding and learn from others in the field. So, the Guild can put you in touch with someone who is serious about doing the work properly. I am not disparaging those who are not members, just trying to lead you in the right direction.

As has been mentioned previously in SCF bookbinding threads, bookbinders are disappearing. The financial rewards are not great, but you do the work because you love working with your hands. My greatest joy was giving the customer much more than they expected, so I stayed pretty busy with it, especially the last 15 years. In fact, the last several years were a little burdensome, because the work came in from further distances.

For something like a hard cover catalog with gold imprinting on spine and cover, I would typically charge $35 to $45. Page repairs take time, and add cost.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
976 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a big fan of nice bookbinding and have had some things bound nicely (but that company no longer does it).

I also use springback binders to "bind" the printed copies for my collections. When I have an exhibit "complete," I print them out and then put them in an 8.5x11 binder. Sometimes these are listed as "thesis binders."

One source:
http://mayapplepress.com/springback...ipt-binders/

Another source:
https://products.levenger.com/searc...ack%20binder

Have used both and am very happy with them. Depending upon the thickness of the catalog you're thinking of binding, you can probably just slip the whole thing into one of these covers.

Chip
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3982 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
As an aside, the venerable Shakespeare & Company bookstore is trying to fight its way back to brick'n'mortar life.

The new value proposition (as the kids like to say nowadays) is to have a cup of coffee in the cafe while they print & bind the book of your choice.

https://shakeandco.com/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4644 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought you meant the overpriced tourist trap for Americans in Paris ...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05