Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aps Certs. What Have You Experienced Recently?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Andyrich74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sent in a US 120, confirmed receipt by the APS on 10/2/2019. Asked simply if it was unused as advertised and a legit stamp (and with what tools I have appears to be so, but still wanted another opinion based on the seller.)

Still nothing.

Is this the norm?

Have a US 118 as well in their hands. That I'm now hoping to get back by the end of 2020.

Fire away...
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6716 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why ask here - you can call or Email APS

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4727 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   09:00 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Peter. You can call or email the expertizing division directly and inquire as to the status of your submission.
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@AndyRich74: I understand the spirit of your question. It's one thing to ask APS directly - which invites a stock answer. It's quite another to tabulate a series of observations from other collectors using the service. If enough people here replied to your question, some trends or tendencies (that is, a "norm") may become evident. A bell curve distribution for APS response times would be evident.

Here's my two cents, based on my two APS submissions:
(1) entered in the APS database 10/15/19, returned 12/11/19.
(2) entered in the APS database 1/22/20, not yet rendered.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter and revenue collector: clearly Andy is asking for others experiences using APEX. Certainly, the length of time he has been waiting for a response seems inordinately long for the simple question being asked: "genuine unused no gum" or not. It should not take over 4 months to answer this question. Bill Weiss would have returned the cert within 2 weeks of submission, possibly sooner with I would say probably a similar chance of being accurate given that he was an expertizer for APEX.
Edited by funcitypapa - 02/12/2020 3:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4214 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the magnifying glass is out for repairs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6716 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They may not have received it. Contact them

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 02/12/2020 3:46 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
340 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ALWAYS use Priority or Priority Express) Mail with a signature required as proof of receipt by the certifying agency. USPS proof of delivery may not be enough, especially if you have your own insurance.

With APS, the best way is to buy it through their store, pay for it and the cert cost, and have APS submit it directly for their certification. No chance of it being "not received" and, if the cert comes back bad, you will be contacted and given the option of cancelling the sale for a full refund (stamp and fees). The seller gets back-charged for the cert and must either correct the listing or remove it. I've had several APS stamps fail that way. APS does NOT vet the stamps in their store; they just list them for the sellers - just like eBay and HipStamp.

Edited by uboatnut - 02/12/2020 4:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
575 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OP had a confirmed receipt
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, I of course sent it certified mail with return receipt, and my APS account shows they've received the stamps with a date received and a photo of both subjects. That's not an issue.

To clarify, as BFRomeos alluded to, just looking for what seems to be the norm. I don't want to be unprofessional, but as Funcitypapa said, I'm just asking if it was indeed unused and genuine; there is clearly a grill and one would think that a 120 is a pretty common stamp with quite a bit of reference material.

I did contact them when the stamp hit the three month mark in their hands; got a polite but stock reply about "we'd rather do it right than rush things" (to paraphrase.) My last query at the four month mark over a week ago has gone unanswered for over a week now; hence the post.

Thanks all.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why are we trying to make excuses? The issue is very simple. APEX is taking a unreasonably long time to cough up the cert —nothing more or less. Same could be said for the PF with blackjack's 24 cent 1861. At least with the latter you are dealing with a shade issue and gum. With a Scott 120 there is no shade issue and this stamp has to gum to adjudicate. Even with Blackjacks stamp, how long is necessary for in house experts to determine that they did not know what shade it was and then immediately send it out to THE worlds expert on shades for that series. There is always one final authority and that is often one person, not a committee vote. If the certifying organization organization does have that authority in house, they should know who that person is and that person's opinion should be the final opinion. If there is no one authority then declare that the stamp is or is not genuine, sound or not, og or not and state that the shade is iindeterminant.

In the case of blackjacks stamp, no matter what the shade, if sound and with og, that is still a seriously desirable and valuable stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would give them a call. I can't help with your actual question as I have never used their swrvice.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andyrich I have no experience using APEX. I have used the PSE and PF
for my stamps. I believe both of these stamp certifying organizations have
the most respect and trust of both collectors and dealers. That said I find
both will certify stamps in less than a month especially if they are told
The stamp was bought at auction and is on extension.

There are always exceptionally hard stamp submissions of which
I have had 2 taking more than 4 months and one 8 months.
The 70, Washington 24c on thin paper is in the final stages.
I have emailed the PF chairman and have gotten stock reply.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4214 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is yet another area where transparency would be helpful. They must have an internal log with date in, status, notes, transmit info, special requirements, expert assigned, date out and so on and it would do wonders for a customer to know what is going on. In addition, speaking for myself, when it starts to take abnormally long to receive opinions I begin to look for stamps that already have really current certs or put off other submissions unless it is critical.

I do not know about the APS as much but with others it has always irked me that at times my submissions will take months to be returned and yet dealers that I know rarely wait more than a month or so.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
524 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam: re your comment about dealer vs collector waits: that blows a hole in the so-called submitter anonymity factor claimed but many of us have never believed
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1329 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rodcam: It is not unknown for submitters to pressure expertizers.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05