Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aps Certs. What Have You Experienced Recently?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   06:23 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have many items that would benefit from stamp certification. Many are the pride of my collection. Listening to all of the horror stories over the years,I'm just not willing to jump on that merry-go-round. I'd rather save my hard earned money for more stamps or a nice dinner.

I did use Bill Weiss, on a few items, and his service was cordial and turnaround was reasonable. I know there were some shortcomings there. But you get what you pay for.

But I'm unwilling to send my most prized items off into the abyss, for months on end, to seek some approval. It's worth nothing to me!

Am I the only one that feels this way ??

When I'm dead and gone an auction house can pay for that, it's more important to them. I know they will get better service.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by kcaramat - 02/14/2020 06:24 am
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
kcaramat, I'm with you. Pretty much everything I've read here confirms my belief that expertising, for the average collector, is not worth the time or money. Or the bother that comes with dealing outfits that seem to have no interest in providing timely service to their customers. I'll manage the risks associated with not obtaining certs for higher value material and like you use my funds to continue to acquire more and better stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
508 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What has never been satisfactorily explained to me is WHY items like the OP's unused no gum Scott 120 should take MONTHS, as opposed to minutes, days or hours to certify. In general, experts in a particular field or subject do not take anyway near that amount of time to reach a conclusion.
Learn More...
7701 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:26 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there some bad certs? Yes. Do some sellers play games with certs? Yes. But my opinion is that this does not disqualify certification service as a viable and legitimate solution for many hobbyists.

Getting decent additional information is always good and making informed buying decisions is always good. We have a lot of folks in this community who do not have extensive experience and are much better off seeking certified stamps or getting certs for stamp they have purchased. I think it is prudent for many hobbyists to seek certified stamps or a new cert when they meet or exceed a certain personal financial threshold.

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons in spending money for a paid opinion. But the good news is that no one should feel they have to drop a lot of money of certifying their stamps in a vacuum. One of the great values of this community is helping hobbyists decide if they should seek a cert for a stamp and I encourage everyone to consider this option.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1847 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I'm dead and gone an auction house can pay for that

I'm quite sure that certification costs would come out of your estate money, realized from the auction, and not the auction house's own pockets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   1:45 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don't agree. True the auction house will be clear, but the Buyer is the one that ends up paying. Unless you're saying the cert is of no added value?

The only reason the auction would get a cert is to extract more money from the Bidders. Ironically, my heirs, would actually realize more as well.
Edited by kcaramat - 02/14/2020 1:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1847 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand your argument, and I understood it before I made my post. I don't take anything as a given, however - the item might not sell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2113 Posts
Posted 02/15/2020   01:17 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Don't agree. True the auction house will be clear, but the Buyer is the one that ends up paying. Unless you're saying the cert is of no added value?
The only reason the auction would get a cert is to extract more money from the Bidders. Ironically, my heirs, would actually realize more as well."

If the cert os gotten before the sale the seller pays, if after the sale the buyer pays.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05