Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking To Buy A Mixed Older Ww Lot, Nothing Fancy Or Big - Looking For Advice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,109Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Looking for advice. I have purchased one smaller group of early mixed WW stamps - about 1100 ( I assume that is small - new to this). I enjoyed sorting, discovering and having to identify the stamps - versus me looking for something specific and buying it. now that I have cataloged many of those - I want to find something similar. I am not looking to spend a fortune or anything fancy - but some nice classics to add to my small WW collection. So far I have purchased on Hip Stamp and Ebay/E-Bid, but open to learning different/better methods. Thank you as always.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5181 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I returned to stamp collecting, I initially followed the eBay route too. Then I decided to cut out the middle-man and bid for worldwide lots at auctions. Then I moved on to country lots. In terms of mixed lots, my experience over the years has been, well, mixed. The main drawback is that, if you can't view the lots in person, you're gambling on the basis of a description that's usually not much beyond skeletal and on very limited photographs/scans. I've had some surprisingly good things, and some disappointingly bad ones. Part of the trick is working out what was a genuine collection, and what is an accumulation of junk from a dealer's cupboard or an auction houses's bought-in off-cuts. And I'm still learning!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice Geoff. The country lot route is definitely something to consider. Every little piece of advice helps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4984 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Then I decided to cut out the middle-man and bid for worldwide lots at auctions. Then I moved on to country lots.

The one downside to this approach, based upon what the OP wrote, is that if you are buying from auction houses, the shipping costs and buyer's premium make it such that it's likely not all that cost effective for purchases under $100-200, and I don't know that the OP is buying to that extent yet.

For sub-$100 purchases, eBay and Hipstamp are probably the best source for mixed lots, and also posting here as she did. Many of us collectors have residual material that are either duplicates or outside our focus areas, that could be turned into bulk lots, if not country- or period-specific, at least region-specific, without breaking the bank.

Edited by revenuecollector - 02/12/2020 08:58 am
Valued Member
Ireland
244 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I gave up collecting around 2001 because I was not enjoying it. I had become too obsessive on one country (Ireland).
When I returned to collecting in 2012, I decided I would still collect one country (and it took about five years to catch up on issues from 2001-2012) but I would also collect the rest of the world for fun.
This means I can be both "serious" and recapture the sense of fun that I had as a young child.
My personal way of collecting the world is to buy kiloware lots about three times a year from a charity. On each visit I spend about 40-50. Usually the lots are seperate Ireland, Britain and the world.
THe number of world stamps (excluding Ireland and Britain) that I have added to my world collection has been 1,425, 986 and 1,2351. I tend to go for the most recent they have.
There is obviously a lot of luck, a lot of duplication which I usually burn or give to another charity. There is also a sense of dimininishing returns eg in the third lot, I will come across stamps that were in the first and second lot.
I dont think I will find rare stamps that way but its certainly the best way to find British commemoratives. But I do find unusual countries in Africa, Asia etc.

Ireland stamps still drive me mad. World stamps keep me sane.
All of which makes me a well-balanced person.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5033 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita - You might want to take a look at Modern Stamps on Stamp Auction Network. They have lots of inexpensive sizable WW lots with no buyers premium and really cheap shipping. Lots of fun and will keep you busy for a long time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all - really great advice. Nora.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When mentioning classics, do you mean the SCF-like definition of pre-1940, the stamps of the 19th century or the stamps of the 1870s and earlier? There should be a fair number of lots that are generally pre-1940 only. The other categories would not be easily found.

In your scouting online, search also on the terms packets and approval books. Some of these are overpriced by sellers inexperienced with stamps and also can have the commonest of the common. But they can have interesting stuff in them, like revenues, cinderellas, cancels, multiples.

Consider also moving up to country collections on album pages broken out from worldwide albums. Many are just on a few pages and will be fully illustrated. There may be some countries you are particularly interested in at this point. Collections of older European and South and Central American countries often go cheaply so you might check out sold items in eBay that hopefully still have their pictures to get some idea of what these sell for. You can always make a flyer bid of 3c-5c per stamp (averaged) on such eBay collections and if you don't get it, nothing lost.

Edited by hy-brasil - 02/12/2020 8:29 pm
Valued Member
272 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita, I'll simply give you a lot of my duplicates if you want them. Would rather have them in the hands of a collector than in one of my stock books or try to sell them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy!

I just received the stamps you sent. WOW! beautiful stamps. Thank you so much for your generosity. Looking forward to learning about these stamps and mounting them in my album. Your generosity is helping create new enthusiastic stamp collectors - I promise to pay it forward.

Nora.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
141 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've had some surprisingly good things, and some disappointingly bad ones

Like GeoffHa I too have had some "interesting" experiences with lots won at auction. Some of it is getting to know what the particular auctioneer means by their description.

I like buying mixed or single country lots on eBay from somebody who shows every page. Even if the image isn't enormous you can see if there are chunks of fifty of stamps you already have in quantity!

Some of these allow you to buy stamps for one or two cents and fill many holes in your albums. Sometimes I even buy a mixed lot in a box or tin where you can't see what you're getting and get hours of sorting fun. By and large the stamps I've bought on eBay have been great.

I have a friend who's lucky enough to belong to several stamp clubs local to him (not in the same country as me unfortunately) and he regularly reports to me that he's snapped up bargains in their in-house auctions. Maybe that would be a route you could pursue?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4975 Posts
Posted 03/05/2020   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Buying stamps is a learning experience . Start small and buy from various places . I would advise you to start with small lots of each country . Spend a few months or maybe a few years building a well round collection .

After a while increase the size of your purchases and continue expanding your collection with bigger purchases ,by now you understand the sellers market and had a lot of fun and experience as your collection expands .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 03/06/2020   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you floortrader all sound advice. I have started a few albums and I am loving it - I have a lot of pride in the pages I complete. Today I finally received my Scott Mexico Album - looking forward to filling it, sharing, and learning. Nora.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
271 Posts
Posted 03/06/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends where you live but I would strongly recommend going to a stamp auction held in a room where you can look at the lots. Don't go to the big very well publicized auction go to a club auction or a smaller auction house. Look at the stuff. Of course living in a densely populated country with countless auctions within a 120 miles, it's easy for me. Being able to look before you bid is really useful. sometimes you change your mind about a lot once you have seen it. Often you find something that you'd missed when reading the catalogue.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 03/06/2020   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I much agree with Noocassel's suggestion. Last week at my local stamp club's semiannual auction I brought home a three pound lot of mixed WW, mostly off paper, for $5.00. Many duplicates of course but also lots of new material, and I found a U.S. Scott 289 from the Trans-Mississippi series.

The big thing though was I could actually look at the lot to see if it was interesting and would be of use to me, plus no shipping cost.
One can go to the American Philatelic Society website, www.stamps.org, then under the "Community" tab click on "Clubs" to see what might near you.
Edited by moneil - 03/06/2020 11:09 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,109Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05