Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Harding Stamp Question How To Tell If Valuable?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jvpool to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Like I've posted before I got all these old stamps I work all the time and do not have the time to do the proper research so I post the ones on here that he thinks are valuable come to find out most of them are just common stamp worth nothing he sent me this one this morning thinking it is something.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many old stamps did he, or you, come into?

There is a useful tool at http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...ntifier.html that is fairly quick to search by keyword (Harding in this case) to then find what you have.

If you are after just the monetary value, you then could look on eBay by the scott number at past sales.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jleb1979 - 02/12/2020 5:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few quick tips.

1. If the collector did not spend large amount of m9ney in the hobby good chance no hidden gem.

2. If the collector did not take special care of valuable stamps best bet they are common.

3. If the collector does not have some of the higher target easy to identify stamps such as the Colombian issue there is a good bet the few stamps you thing are gems are common.

My point is if your looking at a few hard to find rare stamps with none of the above indicators then you really should take some time to review several resources and learn.
Learn More...
7701 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   5:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is more about your stamp on this specific Stamp Smarter page http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/ByYear/1923.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't mean to sound grumpy but just disappointed when people don't take the time to learn. For example you have a black Harding stamp. Go to stampsmarter. You will find 4 Harding stamps. 610, 611, 612 and 613. We can toss out 611 which is imperforated. Now we are stuck as you need to let us know what the perfs are. 610 perfs at 11 612 perfs at 10 and 612 at 11.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think a lot of the 'big find' discoveries are just sensationalist journalism around significant outliers.

The better material has largely been aggregated. Selloffs of discovered goods have largely already happened at least once in the last 120 years, and as such have crossed at least one dealer or an auction.

This means that if someone has higher valued goods, it is more than likely they paid higher prices for the stamps through one of these avenues. So the likelihood you stumble on say an invert in an el cheapo collection is 0. Many other discoveries (errors) may have been made at the sheet level, and then broken up. So the original supply was not dispersed through 100 random envelopes or 100 people random buying at the PO.

Do outliers exist... Can a Z grill be lurking in plain sight, in an album in grandma's closet, of course. Not likely in most cases, but if you knew Grandpa to be a multi millionaire and had shown you a Jenny invert when he was alive the likelihood is much higher.

Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's that old saying, used in the medical profession, but applicable here too: "if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05