Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Combined Shipping- Double-check

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1855 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lately I have been noticing a lot of sellers fudge a bit when replying to a request for an invoice with combined shipping.

Last week I bought four items from one seller, his listing stated $4 for the first item an $1 for each additional. I figured I'd get an invoice for $7. I got one including $10.50 shipping. I did pay it with that shipping charge but queried why the discrepancy. Within an hour I got a 'sorry my mistake' reply and a refund for $3.50. Second time with this seller.

Not a big deal but this same scenario has played out with other sellers. I have started to double check now before payment and a lot of sellers will bill me more than they should if their listing is to be believed. Interestingly I haven't yet been under billed.

Not a major problem but I have to wonder how widespread this is. Interesting..
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1980 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems that some regular sellers just don't know how things work like combined shipping. After 2 mistakes including sending the wrong lot, even when corrected, I'll just ignore the seller as being too much trouble.

This kind of thing happens more and more in real life, too. I was recently shown a bottle of liquor marked $22.95 but with a shelf tag saying it was on sale for $24.95. A quick check with a self-scanner had the store computer saying it was $24.95. Now I'm pretty sure if you went to the store manager you could get it for the lower price, but that starts to get obnoxious, just like your situation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28405 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The world is a big scam fest,
Australia's leading 4 banks
Internet provider Optus
Everyone is a crook.

Australian online retailer Kogan fined $32,400 for raising prices before discounting goods. AUSTRALIAN online electronics store Kogan has been fined more than $30,000 for artificially inflating discounts in its Fathers' Day sale last year, raising the price of items by more than 10 per cent before discounting them.

5th February 2020

11th February 2020
Edited by rod222 - 02/12/2020 8:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4632 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   01:23 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, my experience tends towards the opposite. Each week, some of my eBay buyers ignore the words "Postage combined where appropriate - please wait for invoice" and make two or more separate payments, necessitating refunds.
Valued Member
367 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And to add to Geoff, that refund amount - the seller pays fees on.
Spain
2 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add supermoli to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have had GeoffHa's problem on occasion, as well.
What I do now is to add a paragraph on each item's
description, explaining to the buyers that they should
wait for a revised invoice with combined shipping costs,
in case they buy several items. And, more important,
I warn them beforehand that, if they pay without waiting
for the new invoice, I cannot refund them the excess
shipping costs paid. I don't think it is fair that I
should pay extra paypal fees just because people
cannot take some time to read my instructions in the
description...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience eBay fails to apply combined shipping discounts before in invoice is sent. This may be limited to cases where domestic shipping is free and international shipping is not free.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05