Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning The Back Of A Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 701Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
109 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BakerJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have read many different things from using hot water to using cold water, and other things. Here are 2 different stamps. I have a 91 which is nice and clean. I also have this Ben that is all dirty and dingy on the back. This Ben has a grill on the back. Just so happens that this crap on the back is not letting me see the whole grill. Any suggestions on what I should do here? I thank you in advance.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8250 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   06:31 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Conservation = good.
Restoration = bad.

Paper conservation is neither simple or easy and can involve some risk; even trying to erase pencil marks can damage a stamp. My opinion is anything beyond a bath in cool, clear water should only be undertaken by someone with paper conservation experience.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Don. The one-cent stamp looks like it has hinge residue, which could be cleaned off by soaking in water no hotter than room temperature.
Edited by dudley - 02/13/2020 09:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
7114 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My opinion is anything beyond a bath in cool, clear water should only be undertaken by someone with paper conservation experience.

I agree with Don

Here is my 77 and there is a hinge behind it..I will leave it as is.

Robert

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
127 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you are able to remove the residue and have the grille clearly visible. That being done you can readily identify the points, I think and then determine which grill it is. Or is there more to properly determining which grille it is? Let us know please.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert, you can easily remove that hinge by soaking. Easily done, no damage to stamp. I soak all my used stamps if there is paper or hinge residue.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a sports card guy. I know very little about stamps, but learning fast. The "Rules" of collecting or buying and selling are basically the same. I wasn't sure if there was a way to make the back of that stamp more desirable in a buyer's market. Like my cards, I know condition matters. Which of these cards would attract you if you were a buyer?

Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That first card is actually mine. The last one is a quick snip I took from E-Bay
Learn More...
8250 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to me that a seller is obligated to disclose if the item has been restored.
Don

Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just threw the card images in as an example of appearance and condition. I didn't know if there was a real way to clean up the back of that stamp without ruining the integrity of it
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Helpful advice
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just so happens that this crap graphite on the back is not letting me see the whole grill.

This might help.

http://goscf.com/t/48714&whichpage=2#632856
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything is a risk when working with older stamps. Clean 100 or a 1,000 and it all goes fine. Then there is that one time it doesn't work out so well.

If it bothers you then try the simple water soak. Beyond that I would let a pro take care of it.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.I appreciate the input.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wasn't sure if there was a way to make the back of that stamp more desirable in a buyer's market.

This is a somewhat different matter. Generally speaking, for used stamps (where gum condition is not a factor) the presence or absence of a hinge mark or remnant or other marking on the reverse is not a determiner of value, unless it is used to hide faults or prevents identification of the stamp. If these latter circumstances do not apply it is purely a matter of personal aesthetics.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2317 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   5:45 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you need to do has nothing to do with restoration and is not really "cleaning" either. A good part of the wrongs that have been done to your stamp will come off with a simple soak in warm water. The graphite that is on the hinge remnant and gum will come right off in the water. Once it has been very lightly pressed so as to not press out the grill, and dried, you may be able to remove some of the graphite with a soft eraser. Care should be taken to not damage the stamp. Gently erase in one direction, away from the point from which you are holding the stamp down.

It would be nice if graphite was not used in the first place. It is completely unnecessary, especially with this stamp. I can just about guarantee that the grill is an F-grill. Condition does matter with stamps too. When all else is equal, a stamp that does not have graphite smeared all over it is worth more money every time. That is the truth.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 701Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05