Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Disposing Of My US Collection - Dealer Suggestions?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
434 Posts
Posted 02/12/2020   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My U.S. collection catalogues around 100k, almost all stamps of any value bought at auction. Nothing extraordinary, but a reasonable representation of classics, complete Columbians, Trans-Mississippi, airmails MNH or MH, good collection of WF, etc. All legitimately VF or better with clean certs for stamps above $200-300.

Looking at the auction route, but would anyone suggest any dealers that might be interested in purchasing the entire lot at a good price?

Thanks for any assistance.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4533 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Entire lot at a good price " ? First the size is going to exclude 99% of U.S. collectors .So you are really talking about a dealer or a internet reseller.

Your giving someone else the opportunity to make money from your collection . OK, I understand that .

Then you bring up the "Good Price " did you mean "wholesale price " because that is what a dealer or stamp auction house will offer you .

Now if you decide to sell it yourself piece by piece that is a different story . If that happens a few good items will sell fast at a "good price" the rest 85%-90% will take time but then the key items are missing and already sold .You can be selling and relisting those over the next two years, by then your giving up on your "good price" and happy with wholesale price .

My advice is consign it all to a major auction firm and walk away with the minus your 10%-15% plus the 20% the buyer pays now your not talking "good price" but a wholesale price " and your waiting 4 to 6 months for the money .

My guess is your going to be offered $8,000 to $15,000 for a U.S. Collection in good shape to a reseller. Who will take a year to sell it .

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4221 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Christopher Rupp may take it on to sell by individual item if the centering and quality are better than the norm. If he does you can expect to get top retail dollar for each item as he sells it minus 20%. I highly recommend this route from personal experience. If you wish to sell as a complete unit I recommend Ed at Century Stamp. He will not lowball you. You will not realize as much as you would from Christopher but it will be a quick disposal.

Edit: I meant to also add that Kelleher will do a 10% commission rate on individual US material.
Edited by rogdcam - 02/13/2020 06:49 am
Learn More...
7873 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   07:01 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to fear monger...but least we not forget the Regency debacle. It is difficult to determine with private companies, but you would want to avoid any auction firm which shows signs of financial stress.
Don
Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had limited success selling duplicate US/Canada items (>$50 cat) on eBay. The same item for sale by a larger, well respected seller on eBay would easily get more than an individual disposing of his collection would (assuming you are starting with little seller feedback). I'd guess the extra you would realize by consigning would easily cover commissions. Besides, scanning and listing, and dealing with questions/returns can consume a lot of time. I don't know which of the larger eBay sellers sell on consignment - anyone know?
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on your tolerance for pain. If you're looking for a clean transaction with minimum delay, I wouldn't rule out Mystic. Some time ago I sold them a US collection, in albums, that sounds a lot like yours, and did very well, considering. Catalog value approached $75K, I would estimate, and I got about 20% of that amount. Buyer came to my home, took several hours to review, check certs, and so forth, and made a solid offer. My theory is Mystic's very high retail prices can be reflected in the slightly higher sums they can offer to buy. I've never sold on consignment, but if I were to do so, based on my experience buying from them, I'd take a serious look at Kelleher.
Valued Member
Learn More...
434 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the comments so far. Just to clarify - I am asking specifically whether there are dealers who might be interested in buying the entire collection for a good (fair?) price, who would then presumably break it up for sale to collectors (how they proceed to do that is up to them). Thank you for the suggestion of Rupp, Century and Mystic. I understand that they need to buy on the low side to justify the time and expense of then turning around to try to make a profit on the material. Just wanted to benefit from others' experience if they have gone that route.

I appreciate the comments re the pros and cons of consignment to an auction house. I will be talking to those folks. Just wanted to explore the dealer route to see how much of a haircut I would be taking for less risk/uncertainty, more convenience, more immediate payment, etc..

Not interested in trying to sell directly to an individual collector, either as an entire lot or by individual stamp/sets. Have never bought stamps on eBay, Hipstamp, etc. and would not try to sell there. All of my higher value stamps have been purchased at auction through the usual suspects - Siegel, Kelleher, Cherrystone, Harmer, Spink and yes, some from Regency before they went out of business. The rest from dealers.

Again, thanks.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4221 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle,

Just to clarify, it is unlikely that Rupp will buy a collection. Ed at Century most certainly will. Per your description of how you acquired your stamps and given the certificates that many of them apparently have you no doubt would receive a very fair offer from Ed and it would be far North of the 20% mentioned by others. I would not be going out on a limb by thinking at least 50% for the more bread and butter items and you could get 80% for high quality popular items with good certs. Ed (Century) does not work on exorbitant margins. He works on volume and carrying items that he knows will sell quickly a soon as his catalog goes out.

I think what is being missed somewhat in this overall discussion is that all collections are not equal and your return is based in great part upon your initial outlay and insistence on quality.

I sold a portion of my US collection not long ago on a non-Ebay commission basis through a very well respected dealer and realized anywhere from 65% net for some more common items to over 100% of my initial cost for some better items. On average the return was close to 80% of my cost after my sellers cut.

I did not choose the auction route because we all know that at any given auction many factors can lead to an abysmally low selling price. That and the likelihood that it could be a year from the time that you handover your collection to the house to the time that you are paid made it a nonstarter for me.

Do not undervalue what you have and do not settle for giving it away. You only get to dispose of it once (unless you start over again!).

Please PM me if you have questions or need assistance.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Consider Dr. Robert Friedman in suburban Chicago, with a second office in Florida.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2143 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:32 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think Century or Rupp would be better than Mystic for better than typical condition stamps since they usually deal in better quality items while Mystic usually deals in lower quailty.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2687 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you get prices from dealers, I would like to know what they offer. You see all the ads about highest prices paid. The experience would help useful for others.
Al
Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Angore. It would an interesting reality check (shock?).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1364 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave Cobb, Newport Harbor Stamps, in Newport Beach, CA, also may be an option.

Mystic's propensity for giving extremely low-ball offers has been well-documented on another site. I would avoid them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1725 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found Friedman to be honest, forthright, and fair.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
Posted 02/16/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd also consider Gary Posner. I've sold stuff to him at fair prices.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would the recommendations above apply to a large worldwide collection as well?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05