Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Disposing Of My US Collection - Dealer Suggestions?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4533 Posts
Posted 02/18/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Billresh --No ,it is a totally different animal . The above original poster had high quality U.S. material with cert's . The only way your going to get his prices is if your doing the same as him with your purchases .

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't referring to prices, but am asking if the same dealers/auction houses that are referred to in this thread would be the best to use for disposing of a large worldwide collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4214 Posts
Posted 02/19/2020   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For a large WW collection I would recommend Kelleher, Cherrystone, Spink and HR Harmer. Perhaps Rasdale as well.
Valued Member
Learn More...
434 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After having a few chats with some dealers, I've decided to go the auction route. Don't really have any hard data to impart; just have the distinct impression that the auction approach will likely yield better results even after commission, given the nature of the material that I have. Don't need the money right away, since I will just be giving it all to my son for his wedding and my grandson for his college fund, so I'll be patient and take my chances on the market. Thanks to everyone for your comments.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1302 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle: good luck. Let us know, if you don't mind, how things turn out.

billresh: I agree with floortrader about world wide collections. You may want to have an offline exchange with him to get more feedback as floortrader seems to be among the most active buyers of worldwide collections at auction who post here. He knows the market well for those types of collections. Much will depend on what you have; how many higher priced items you have and in what condition; and the overall market.

I downsized a world wide collection during the past two years. Some higher priced items went to auction and sale still pending (I'm not in a big hurry). My France & colonies collection went for about 6% of catalog, after seller commission. But that particular market was and is weak, except for a few individual countries. The French/St. Pierre market is decent, but I kept that for my North America album.

The remainder was donated to the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library. My Italian area catalogued around $3,000, but I included it in the donation as I wasn't expecting a good sale at auction due to not enough complete sets. And so on.......good luck.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05