Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Evidence Of Reperforation? US Parcel Posts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Multipart question on the subject of re-perforated stamps. Consider the attached photos of U.S. Parcel Post stamps for this discussion.

1) Can we expect to see uniform dimensions on stamps of the same issue, or is some variation inevitable? Note the $1 specimen in the set pictured below. To my eye, its vertical dimension seems shorter relative to the others, suggesting a re-perf of the top or bottom dimension.

2) The diameter of each perforation on the bottom edge of the $1 issue appear more "shallow" than those on the others. The holes seem less uniform. More evidence of a re-perf, or are these acceptable anomalies?

3) Does anyone think the 5c specimen's left border may be re-perfed?

I've already read the Philatelic Foundation's excellent article (http://www.philatelicfoundation.org...erforation/) plus a number of threads in this forum, so your replies here may reinforce my suppositions. Or not...

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by BFRomeos - 02/13/2020 7:59 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A certain amount of variation in size is normal because of paper shrinkage. And no one would reperf the five cent and leave a straight edge.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1081 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In a similar vein as the previous post, would anyone reperf the bottom of the $1 and yet leave all that acreage on the left untouched?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2113 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
if they were trying to replace some short/pulled perfs perhaps
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies, which actually beg new questions:

1) If paper shrinkage is a factor, wouldn't the shrinkage be apparent on both dimensions of a stamp? The $1 specimen appears "short" from top to bottom, yet appears to be wider than the others pictured with it.

2) No comments yet about the size and consistency of the perforation holes on the $1 stamp... To my eye, these holes display some irregularities of dimesion. Are these irregularities within normal bounds demonstrated by unaltered stamps?

Edited by BFRomeos - 02/14/2020 09:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1303 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paper shrinkage of flat plate stamps occurred before the stamps were gummed and perforated. Parcel post stamps were perforated 12-66 (0.066" spacing). Perforations should match when comparing with another stamp in the series. To ensure accuracy, align perforations starting at one end of the stamp. If the alignment at the other end is significantly off, retry from the other end to verify. While a perforation may occasionally be out of alignment because of a bent pin, they will not be progressively out of alignment. The top comparison in the most recent image is better than the bottom comparison because the perforations are better aligned at the left.

The shape of the perforations at the top and bottom of the $1 Parcel Post should give anyone pause.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@cfrphoto: Exactly the kind of response I was looking for... thank you

Still, per JLLebbert, if the $1 stamp was altered on the top and or bottom, it's strange that the left margin would not be similarly trimmed...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Leaving it alone makes it far less likely that anyone would look too closely at the other perfs. Just as people here questioned it. I have seen stamps done the opposite way too, given an obvious reperf on one side in the hope that no one will look too closely at the rest of the stamp. Which in that particular case had been seriously repaired.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
755 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BFRomeos

I see what you mean about the irregular perf holes on your stamp. I compared your stamp to one in my collection and do not see the same issue.

Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@gettinold: Man, that's a beautiful stamp. Let me know if you want to trade...
Edited by BFRomeos - 02/14/2020 1:47 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
129 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Q12 for comparison.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
755 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BFRomeos

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. You should have seen it before I decided to scan it. I had it in a Vario page. It had a piece of selvage on the top margin. I grabbed it with the tongs by the piece of selvage and chit, wouldn't you know, it came apart.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1333 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom perfs of the $1 in question look snaggle toothed in the middle - very suspicious.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4022 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My money would have been on the left side having been a straight edge and having perforations added.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05