Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Netherlands Scott#148? -curious About Pink "A C" Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bmbmbm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this stamp as I was going through a bunch of duplicates. I think it is Scott#148, as I don't see a watermark. It's easy to miss, but I noticed a pink overprint on it. I am curious what it was for, as I couldn't find anything by searching on the web. Any help would be appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
575 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being from the Netherlands, I am not familiar with these kind of letters.

Maybe from a firm that marked their stamps in another way then a perfin.

It is not from a cheque(wrong postmark to be that)

It is also not from a Transorma machine(early post sorting machine). The letters would be righ beside each other in that case.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
114 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the slogan contains Voorkeur Nederlandsch Fabrikaat, (Preferred Dutch Manufacturer), so now just to find the company.

Update: think I found an example of the entire slogan on cover for you. Lot 440 - scroll to the very bottom of pdf. I bet your would have been a spectacular cover if it were still attached. Not finding the A C reference yet.
http://machinecancel.org/auction/20..._2014_01.pdf
Edited by wannahocalugie - 02/14/2020 10:55 am
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The full text on the flag is "Gebruik bij voorkeur Nederlandsch Fabrikaat" or "Use a Dutch manufacturer by preference" or more simply "Buy Dutch".

This was a flag used by the postoffice in a number of towns in the 1930's. I don't know how many, but probably too many to be much of help in identifying the letters. I can't help you with those.

Jan
Valued Member
Canada
98 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actally, it is not impossible that these markings are from a transorma machine. See the following for the variability of the markings in the early years of use:

https://postalhistorycorner.blogspo...-letter.html

It would have to be an extremely lucky strike to hit the stamp like that, though. If it were still on the original cover, you might have been able to tell.

Jan
United States
3 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bmbmbm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the responses! I agree with j2186; it looks like transorma machine markings. I'd never heard of the machine before, but the link shows markings that seem to match in color, lettering, and size.

It would definitely have to be a lucky strike to look like this one!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05